Corrected salinity too quickly, now what? Please help!!

PaigeC

Hi all,
I am brand new here and new to the hobby. I have been in freshwater for 5 years and just converted my 90 gallon tank to saltwater. I decided to try first with adaptations to my current tank and if all goes well then I’ll buy a reef specific tank in a year or so.

I just introduced my first inhabitants to the newly cycled tank, a few corals (Zoas, hammer, torch, and a mushroom) as well as an emerald crab. I wanted to buy some clownfish but they didn’t have any.

Anyway the problem is that I have been having a hard time reading my refractometer because my near vision is bad and I can’t see that close up when I try to look into the lens.
Once I added the corals and crab I noticed my salinity was too low with a specific gravity of ~ 1.022, so getting scared I rapidly corrected it (dumb because I knew this was a bad idea but I thought somehow that if I did it quickly enough the newly added corals wouldn’t have adapted to the low salinity tank yet).
I brought the tank up to what I think is 1.026 ish (again I really struggle to see the readings with my eyesight).

So the big question is now what do I do? My corals are all closed right up and I’m worried they will die from my mistakes. Do I leave them there and keep my fingers crossed that they recover from this rapid salt increase or do I place them back into lower SG water then raise it slowly?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hate to think my inexperience will kill them all.
thanks so much!!
P.

How are your other parameters? pH, Temp, Alk, etc?
Temp set at 79 (so drops to 78 and slowly climbs back up to 79), pH is 8, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate was 10 before 25% water change prior to adding corals yesterday. I haven’t checked yet today. I haven’t tested Ca, mag or anything else yet.

Temp set at 79 (so drops to 78 and slowly climbs back up to 79), pH is 8, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate was 10 before 25% water change prior to adding corals yesterday. I haven’t checked yet today. I haven’t tested Ca, mag or anything else yet.
Sounds like the major params are in check. I wouldn't worry about Ca or Mg for quite a while. I'd recommend not dosing anything for the first year...overkill and may bring undesirables.

Back