Crack in Glass

shirley386

About 6 months ago I noticed a line of dried up water that had run down from the top corner of my 180. It had not reached the bottom before it dried up. When I looked at the top of the glass I discovered a small (maybe 10 mm) crack in the glass. Not knowing what to do I did nothing to see if it would not get any worse since it was not leaking.

Somewhat in denial I measured it every week and the crack was slowly advancing but not leaking except for a very small amount of salt creep directly on the crack. I was hoping that it would stop running but last week the crack has advanced to about 110 mm and I was dreading a catastrophic tank failure when the whole end glass would crack open. I drained it and started thinking about replacing the tank.

Yesterday I thought about making a gigantic patch on the end of the tank. Since the end glass is inside of the front and back glass, the edges of the front and back glass are flush with the surface of the cracked end glass. I wonder if I could get a piece of glass the same size as the end that would overlap the front and back glass edges, several tubes of silicone and plaster it on the end of the tank?

I welcome all comments. Hopefully someone with a lot more experience with this will advise me what I should do.

I think a 180g of water will cause more damage than the cost of a new tank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

i am normally not that guy who freaks out on stuff like this and says replace it even when its working

BUT....

I would be looking into a new tank ASAP.

Can you patch it. Yes. Would I patch it, absolutely not. At the end of the day the cost to replace the tank is minimal compared to the cost 180 gallons of water can do to a house. Yeah it's a pain to take the tank down replace it with a new one and put it back together... but it's MUCH better than mopping up that much water... or worse, calling the insurance company to explain it.

I had a crack go from the top to the bottom. Not a single drop of water came out. But i immediately transferred the fish for fear of it exploding.

Back