Craig's New Tank Thread (165 gal. FOWLR)

iCraigerz

Hey guys! This will be my first, but lengthy, introductory post...

Basically what started this all was a 35 gal. hexagon freshwater tank that I bought from a garage sale for ten bucks, fish and all. Then it turned into a 55 gal. tank that I got off of Craigslist that came with its own stand and canopy that I did a salt with & now it's onto a brand new 165 gal. Deep Sea Aquatics tank in which I'm having a custom stand & canopy built for.

My intention in creating this thread is to document the process of the putting together of my new 165 gal. as things progress & to document my trials/tribulations throughout the process & to hopefully get some good feedback from some of you guys along the way. I've currently been waiting approximately six weeks for my new tank & have been told that it should be shipping by next week, hopefully. My fingers are crossed :spin1:. Either way I still have to wait for the completion of the stand & canopy & I'm quickly learning patience is key in this hobby.

My plan is to do a FOWLR & I'm still trying to decide if I'd like to do a swimmer or an aggressive tank. I do have to admit that I have quite the infatuation with aggressive species, triggers in particular. However, having a CUC is also very appealing; decisions, decisions...

I've already started laying the ground work in ordering equipment & so far I have the following either in my possession or am stay waiting on but has been ordered:

* 165 gal. DSA 72.5 x 20.5 x 27.5 tank w/black silicone & black overflow w/the plumbing kit.

* Aqueon Pro Flex 4 Sump with Wet/Dry kit

* AquaEuro Apex 150 DC Cone Skimmer (rated @ 150-250 gal.)

* Sicce Syncra 5.0 (1321 GPH)

* Coralife 6x UV Sterilizer (rated up to 250 gal.)

* AquaticLife T5 HO 6-Lamp Light Fixture w/ Lunar LED's

* 2 Fluval 300W Heaters (rated for 100 gal. each that I'll use in sump)

* 8 Bags of CaribSea Hawaiian Black Arogonite

* Hydrometer & Refractometer

* Red Sea MCP & API Test Kits

* Instant Ocean Sea Salt

I still need to pick up some live rock which I'll hand pick at any of the 4-5 good LFS's in the Phoenix area. Also, I'm looking at a few more pieces of equipment and if there's anything I'm missing please feel free to point it out.

I'm also looking at the:

* Neptune Systems Apex AquaController System with Lab Grade pH Probe

* Innovative Marine HydroFill ATO Controller System

I've had Phosphates problems in the past resulting in GHA & Cyno so I'm also looking at:

* NextReef MR1 Complete GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor

* D-D ROWAphos Filter Media

I also probably need to look for some Circulation Pumps and possibly another return pump. The Sicce Syncra 5.0 will turn my tank over roughly 6.5 times @ 5ft. If I added another Sicce Syncra 3.5 it'd turn my tank over an additional 3.5 times, roughly which in combination would give me a total turnover of ten times.

Anyways, this is my first big tank and I'm still very new to the hobby so I've been trying to figure out most of this by myself. Any feedback or suggestions are definitely welcome and I'll continue to update as things move forward.

Thank you for your time!

Oh yeah, and I've attached a picture of my first aquascape that was in my first tank. I kind of want to do the same thing with a base layer of lace rock and then tons of live rock on top.

Again, all ideas, suggestions are welcome :thumbsup:.

Attachments

• Aquascape.jpg
    Aquascape.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
mts that's all I can say. I have the same problem I already want a bigger tank ,have ideas for a 290 gallon custom and I'm just now finishing cycling my 55 gallon

mts that's all I can say. I have the same problem I already want a bigger tank ,have ideas for a 290 gallon custom and I'm just now finishing cycling my 55 gallon

Does MTS mean money to spend? If so that too funny man. I had to look that one up on Google which of course there were many different meanings but I thought that's probably what you meant, lol.

But yeah, I hear ya. I thought a 55 was big but it's actually far from especially once you get rock in there. I figure once I get this 165 up the 55 will be my QT and there's no way I'll be upgrading from that any time soon, guaranteed.

Do you see anything that I'm missing or have any suggestions to anything else I should at least look into?

I wasn't thinking of money to spend but that would work.yeah the 55 gallon tank is not a practical saltwater tank if I ever get around to building that custom. The 55 will become a sump .I've subscribed to your thread so I can stay posted on your biuld can't wait to see it come together try to get pictures up

Unless you are planning on outsourcing your water source. A first on your list would be an RODI system. This will aid in having a successfull tank. The only other suggestion I would make is you might want to reconsider using black argonate. I had one tank and although very cool its a royal pain in the Axx to keep it clean.

Mark

Yeah Mark you're absolutely right. I don't know why I forgot to mention this in my OP but I do have the Typhoon III already installed under the sink. I'll have to edit and add that in the OP.

Also, my lighting and UV sterilizer and a picture of the stand/canopy that I'm building mine off of.

I guess they're waiting to ship my sump when my tank ships which *should be any day*.

Attachments

• 2013-10-19 11.59.57.jpg
    2013-10-19 11.59.57.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2013-10-19 12.00.20.jpg
    2013-10-19 12.00.20.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2013-10-19 12.01.02.jpg
    2013-10-19 12.01.02.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3
Nice setup!!!!

The one return pump sounds like more than enough turnover through the sump. Let the lower wattage power heads take care of the rest of the flow. No need in wasting money every month on extra wattage.

Yeah, I also just realized that I'll have to get a new UV Sterilizer. The one I had was actually for a 55 gal. and I was thinking I could still use it but it only supports flow up to 400 gph. whereas the 12x Turbo Twist supports flow up to 1200 gph. which is what I'll need as my return pump @ 5 ft. head will do 1070 gph.

Back