Creating flow

eraml

In your aritcles that i just read i did learn a lot about sumps anf thier various funcitons and a lot about how to set one up myself. But I do have a few questions:
1) For the return flow into the tank; can you create many "power heads" from the piping that the water returns to the tank in?
Ex. A lot of systems that I have seen here on RC have many power heads on the top of thier tank, as many as 4-6 power heads that "seem" to come from the sump return line.
2) How would i minimize "dead spots" from forming in, around, underneath, and behind my LR?
Ex. I have also seen tanks with pumps coming from either underneath their tank, to creat flow behind and under the rock. I have also seen pumps coming from the overflow box that stretch down the side of the tank and "blow water" in all different areas.

I use only one

I use only one

I use only one return and a few people use two. the power heads are use to get rid of the dead spots in the tank to move the water around to the filter or skimmer*

On the other hand there are no laws on how to put your tank together!

*"If the skimmer is on the tank":;)

Re: Creating flow

eraml said:
In your aritcles that i just read i did learn a lot about sumps anf thier various funcitons and a lot about how to set one up myself. But I do have a few questions:
1) For the return flow into the tank; can you create many "power heads" from the piping that the water returns to the tank in?
Ex. A lot of systems that I have seen here on RC have many power heads on the top of thier tank, as many as 4-6 power heads that "seem" to come from the sump return line.
Yes, many people do it that way.

2) How would i minimize "dead spots" from forming in, around, underneath, and behind my LR?
Ex. I have also seen tanks with pumps coming from either underneath their tank, to creat flow behind and under the rock. I have also seen pumps coming from the overflow box that stretch down the side of the tank and "blow water" in all different areas.
Arrange the rock on the "points" as much as possible. Don't build a "brick wall". Consider eductors.

Back