Cure Live Rock

Oropher

Hi folks. I'm Narto from Indonesia.

I'm new in this hobby and I have lots to ask you folks.

I'm to be inherited a 24L nano all in 1 tank because my brother didn't want to keep on tanking anymore.

I bought 2 pieces of live rocks. And I dipped them in Revive solution, got many hitchhikers such as crabs, worms, and many other things coming out of those rocks. Because of this, I kinda even more worried about those rocks. Worry about they may still host many nasty critters or other scary thing.

So I put those rocks in a bucket with a power head inside to agitate the saltwater. Put on metal cover over the bucket and place them in the middle of backyard, so during the day sun would heat them. I didn't test the initial water parameter but after 24 hours test result was: Ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 12.5 ppm.

Need your suggestion folks

A. do I keep on curing those rocks in the bucket for the next 4-8 weeks or

B. should I drop some ammonia to kill the critters that may still reside. As per my understanding, ammonia won't kill bacteria and neither the coralline algae but (assuming) will kill leftover hitchhickers, and then continue curing until no ammonia, no nitrite and nitrate isn't rising anymore.

Thank you for read this chatter and I even grateful for your advise.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would have put the rocks straight into the good tank and not killed any of the beneficial crabs/worms,etc... ;)
But what grows in my tank that I didn't intentionally put in there is most of the fun of this hobby for me and I'm not worried by hitchhikers as most are harmless in this hobby..
And those that aren't are quite easily removed should the need arise..

Yeah, like mentioned above it's kind of counterproductive if what you have is indeed live rock and your doing what your doing. You should have just put it in the DT and let it roll. (CYCLE and go from there) If there are any unwanted hitchhikers just deal with them later. (hopefully not) GL.

I would have put the rocks straight into the good tank and not killed any of the beneficial crabs/worms,etc... ;)
But what grows in my tank that I didn't intentionally put in there is most of the fun of this hobby for me and I'm not worried by hitchhikers as most are harmless in this hobby..
And those that aren't are quite easily removed should the need arise..
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Yeah, like mentioned above it's kind of counterproductive if what you have is indeed live rock and your doing what your doing. You should have just put it in the DT and let it roll. (CYCLE and go from there) If there are any unwanted hitchhikers just deal with them later. (hopefully not) GL.
Much appreciated for the input. I will consider to go straight cycling in DT.

Back