Cutting middle support out of stand??

Redsox Nation

So I have a standard aquarium stand for my 120 and I am wanting to build a custom sump for it but the center support beams are in the way. I am unsure if this is something realistically can be removed wothout jepordizing the support obviously? Im no engineer nor ever built a stand so unsure, but was curious if I removed them if I could then poss add to make up for it?

will get pics up when I get home

Im not sure if I would remove a center brace from a premade stand, might want to build a stand for it honestly. It's really quite simple.

Show a pic and we can figure it out. I removed my center brace on my 265 when it was full, Once I added the new sump, I stuck it back in.

I should add, I added temporary braces just far apart enough to get the sump in. Then removed them and pu the center back in.

Last edited:
The 180 I built had a removable middle center brace as well. Took it out a couple times to service sump. I would do it on a homemade stand not a premade one though.

Its amazing how some of the pre made stands out there are able to hold some of these tanks I took one apart very easy it was 1"x4" which is really only ¾" and held together with staples and clips the wood was butted together and the clips and staples were completely rusted....I would only trust my own stand personally IMO

Its amazing how some of the pre made stands out there are able to hold some of these tanks I took one apart very easy it was 1"x4" which is really only ¾" and held together with staples and clips the wood was butted together and the clips and staples were completely rusted....I would only trust my own stand personally IMO

Exactly lol, that's why the guy I gave my solana stand to turned it into a desk.

If a stand has plywood sides and is "edge loaded" like most glass tanks, the plywood is a column. A column holds a crap load of weight as long as it cannot rack and collapse. Usually the top and bottom hold it from collapse or "racking".

If a stand has plywood sides and is "edge loaded" like most glass tanks, the plywood is a column. A column holds a crap load of weight as long as it cannot rack and collapse. Usually the top and bottom hold it from collapse or "racking".

I definitely believe you being you are an engineer but one more year on the stand I pulled apart and the clips would of rusted through then the stand would of folded and down comes the tank....the stand could of been at least 15 years old.

So I'm unsure of the age of the stand, my problem is I don't have the room nor the skill set to build one. And even if I did that would mean breaking down the tank, moving, and then reestablishing. On to the pics....

Here is the center brace...pics from the front and then both the inner sides of the center brace

And then here are the corner support

NO WAY! DO NOT TAKE THAT OUT!

WOW that is sketchy!

The problem with that stand is all the weight is put onto the staples/nails that are there.There is no support under the top frame holding the tank!

I'm with Nate and everyone else who says no, there isn't a snowballs chance in, well you get it. You're talking 1,400-1,600 lbs after the tank, rock, water sand etc. Building a stand really is quite easy and not too expensive, definitely worth the cost.

Building a stand is quite easy. I had to replace the stand on my 55g so I built one.

I followed the directions from this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567110

This stand is built like a tank it is way over built and no center brace.

As for the move it was quite simple.

I took out the Live Rock, drained the fish tank halfway then put the fins in Rubber made container. Once I had the fish out I drained as much of the water as I could.

once I had the water down to the sand bed I just moved the tank from one stand to the other stand, moved the stand and tank to it's new home and put it all back together. Live Rock first then water then fish then top of the water with fresh saltwater it was like a normal water change.

Took me 4 hours for the move from start to finish. This had no adverse affects at all. was a lot easer then I thought it would be

also do not remove that center brace, it looks load bearing to me.

That's pretty much one of the I would guess 6 support columns that is holding up your tank then the skin around the tank is holding the support columns in place and vertical ....if you take out the support column I believe from looking at the photos that your tank could and will collapse ...I would recommend building a new stand or a skeleton inside of your existing stand kind off like a roll cage in a race car with 2x4s and you could screw them to the existing skin if you have the room inside the stand.

ok well FML...I appreciate all the responses. Guess I will have to go a new route. All though I am sure I could build a stand, I just do not own the tools nor have a garage to do so. So I guess I will have to find an alternate solution. Thanks everyone for your responses

What about cutting out an end panel and sliding the sump in from the end? You can then either trim your patch back in or put in a vent. I saw Melev (can we use his name again?) post a how-to on his website a few years back.

The ironic thing about those flimsy stands that come from the tank manufacturers is they often won't guarantee the aquarium unless it's on one of their stands!

What about cutting out an end panel and sliding the sump in from the end? You can then either trim your patch back in or put in a vent. I saw Melev (can we use his name again?) post a how-to on his website a few years back.

The ironic thing about those flimsy stands that come from the tank manufacturers is they often won't guarantee the aquarium unless it's on one of their stands!

I wish that was the case....the sump I wanted to build was 18" across....it just so happends that the 2 middle support legs take away an inch on each end internally...leaving me only 16" to work with. So now it comes down to 2 things, either build a stand or come up with a different sump idea and demensions....

Back