Damn Shrooms!

splurge619

So I have had a blue mushroom maybe a little over 1.5 years and for some reason it stopped opening up. It probably hasn't opened up for maybe 5 months now. I did upgraded my lights a year ago with 2 T5HO 24watt bulbs. Had a hair algae bloom but that has been resolved. All of my other corals are doing fine, I wonder if the light is just too strong for them and they will eventually open up, but I would think they should have opened up by now. I have softies and sps coral with 2 clownfish and a purple dotyback. My water parameters are also fine. I could scrape the mushroom off with a razor blade but don't feel like damaging it. Thoughts?

You may want to try a turkey baster and kind of blast it off the rock. Mine usually let go after a few tries. Or create some shadowing for it by putting something above the spot it is.

I've read some people point a powerhead at them to get them to detach as well, besides the turkey baster method.

Blues seem to be more finicky. I have green and orange mushrooms growing likes weeds everywhere, but my 3 blues don't do squat. The other thing to consider is if you changed your flow around them, either on purpose or accidentally by another coral or rock.

Back