DIY Media Reactor

FEEDERFISH

Just a thought....Is it possible to make a DIY Media Reactor for Carbon/Rowa etc... out of a RO Pre-filter canister? I have yet to change my filters on my RO unit so I am not sure how the water inputs through the filters in the canister

No one....? Some one post a pic on how the water enters an RO canister at the top and how it goes through the filter block and out the otherside of the top I have some parts I am going to try it out.

In an RO/DI housing the water enters trough the sides of the cartridge, enters the cartridge trough the bottom and exits the top.
You can use the inside canister full of media installed in the housing same way you will with an RO/DI system with one caviet, you need to modify the cartridge.
Regular cartridges have a filter paper in the bottom and a similar very fine fiter at the top of the cartridge, those have to be removed and replaced by a perforated or slitted plate (doughnut shaped) at the bottom and a similar plate at the top glued to a pice of PVC pipe that will act as a chamber for the outlet.
If you leave the paper and fine filter at the outlet they get plugged with detritus very fast loosing all flow trough the cartridge.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11883175#post11883175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FEEDERFISH
I was going to use the DI Internal Canister to hold my carbon media
Yes that is the one you need to modify and need to run in a housing like the ones you have.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11966652#post11966652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PrisonCityReef
Let me know if you need to borrow a mop & bucket. :)

Good luck!

:lol: thanks for making me laugh today PCR! :lol:

OK here is a breif walkthrough on the DIY Reactor...

I used a Maxi-Jet 600 with a John Guest 1/2 barb fitting, used 1/2in I.D clear tubing to join them together and then a Union John Guest. Decided to use 3/8in John guest tubing over the 1/4 which is stock with the DI canisters.
IMG_1399.jpg

I picked up the John Guest Fittings from http://www.freshwatersystems.com/
And my DI canister + Media from http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/i2/Shipping-and-returns/information.html

Picked up (2x) 90 degree 1/4 threaded to 3/8in John Guest fittings and swapped out the 1/4 fittings, for the input/output
IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

Next for the Cansiter I had to empty out the DI media and remove the filtering paper from the top of the cansiter which was the hardest part of the DIY.
IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Last edited:
Next up was the cap on the bottom of the canister, it came with some filtering paper which was glued to the plastic
IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

Pulled most of it out then used a torch and just hit the fuzz that was left
IMG_1412.jpg

I cut some plastic grate which I found in the knitting section of walmart, and placed it inside the the ring of the cap
IMG_1413.jpg

for the top of the cansiter I cut another piece for a perfect fit
IMG_1414.jpg

I placed some poly filter sheets which i had cut to fit and tied up filter bag of Phosphate media placed that in first then another sheet of poly filter, then another plastic grate cut to fit. Then filled up the rest of the container with carbon for a tight fit, again I cut a circle poly filter and placed that on top the carbon and tightened up the cap with the plactic screen. I plumbed in a john guest ball valve and have it about 3/4 closed, mounted the canister and its up and running nicely!
IMG_1417.jpg

Back