Do I need to take the glass apart on 300 Gallon glass tank

Mustang67

I have a 300 gallon Marineland glass deep dimensions tank that leaked and needs to be re-sealed.

The tank was bought new and leaked after about 5 years. I thought the cleaning crew I hired cut into the black silicone when scraping the back wall. After now getting it stripped and cleaned out I am wondering if the glass began to pull away from the glass to glass seal??

Take a look at these photos, you can see where the light kind of shines through or showing a break in the seal. It's only the front of the tank, bottom portion.

Looking for advice/guidance from someone who has experience in building tanks tanks of this size or larger.

Do I need to pull off the bottom trim and remove the front glass pane then reseal it and out it back on?

Attachments

• IMG_5930.JPG
    IMG_5930.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5931.JPG
    IMG_5931.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
The above photo makes it easier to see. You can see the far right side of the seal is good but as you scan to the left it begins to look like it is separating.

Marineland DD tanks have a reputation for leaking/failure. Personally, I’d lean toward overly cautious and basically start from scratch. That will be a lot of work.

Back