Does anyone use battery backups (UPS-type devices) with their tank set-ups?

shiveley

I have one lying around unused and was wondering if it would useful, or even be worthwhile, for use with the 75G that I'm currently setting up. The unit specs (in summary) are as follows:

APC "Smart-UPS" 1000 VA uses the DC to AC power inverter 'in reverse', like a battery charger, during normal operation providing increased performance and efficiency. It features AVR boost and AVR trim which automatically correct brownout and overvoltage conditions without unnecessary battery drain.

Power Provided - 670 Watt / 1000 VA
Output Waveform - Sinewave
Surge Suppression - Standard
Run Time (Up To) - 6.1 min (at full load)

I figure at a minimum I could hook my return pump (Eheim 1262) to it...but I'm not even sure how long it would run it if the power did happen to go out.

Anyway, I was curious as to whether anyone here even used these things things for reef applications.

I don't think it would hurt, but like you said, it probably wouldn't last long. Most of these things are only made to keep a computer running during small interruptions in electrical current like quick outages. In the lab I worked in, we ordered some to keep our machine running for 1 hour and those things cost us over $20,000! I think most reef people use them to attach a PH and a heater

I have a 1300va or 1350 that I have a 40w pump running on. It only lasts about 2 hours. That apc would probably last 45 mins with your return pump.

I have an APS on my tanks. Pretty much run filters, powerheads and/or airpumps only. They're great peace of mind :)

Just something to consider:

At work, we have been using APC Smart UPSes for years. One thing we have found consistent about APC UPSes is that you aren't very reliable. The battery used in these UPSes (and most consumer UPSes) are crap. Doing a diagnostic test shows that the battery is operating fine. Then we we have a power outage, one of the UPS may last for only a few minutes (when it should have lasted a minimal of 1 hour). We replace our battery every 3 years, and this problem still occurs. Moral of the story: Use a UPS, but don't always trust that it will work when you need it.

BTW - I have looking for better UPS. Something that uses battery similar to what they use in golf carts (6V wet cell or 6V AGM). Unfortunately, those battery are big and heavy. But they are very reliable.

I use a smart-ups 1600 (batteries replaced about 6 month ago) to drive two Korilia-1 power heads in my 24G nano.

Each K-1 uses about 3.5W so the pair should last for days on a 1600VA (1000Watt?) battery. Or, I should say I hope it does.

Scott

Back