Does the WEP (water environmental protection) visit fish stores?

Stephany

What does your fish store do with its used water? Does it need to be denitrified at all?
My question is, does the WEP periodically visit and make sure that any (if any) protocol is being followed?

In 7 years of retail, I have never seen a local WEP agent and I would laugh at one to their face if they would have shown up. I can name hundreds of industries and companies that water pollute a thousand if not a million fold compared to the fish retail business. Sure there is some organic and chemical pollutants dumped, but lets be fair, compare the common 4 person household and what they dump in the sewage system on a daily basis and I would bet they put in 10 or more times the amount of organic and chemical material than a medium sized fish operation does.

Itââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s a none issue if you ask me.

LFS water is a lot cleaner than what goes down your toilet. Think of how much nitrogenous wastes goes down in your toilet compared to what would go down from the LFS water.

Don't know why it's weird, they have probably checked into it and consider it a none issue compared to your regular house waist.

You lost me, LOL. If they don't go to pet shops I assume it's simply because they don't consider it a worth their while. Like I said there's a lot more pollution being dumped into the sewage system from normal households than a pet shop. I am certain they are aware of this thus the reason they don't bother.

I mean.... I agree, that fish stores probably do create less waste.
And assuming that's the case, I wouldn't think they would bother.

Sooo.... Why would the WEP be at a fish store by me? :p

If I may ask, what brought this question up? I spent 14 years as a waste water treatment operator and the only reason they would go there is: 1. if something was affecting a municipal waste water treatment plant. 2. Something was getting into a stream in large enough amounts to cause harm that could possibly be traced back to a pet shop.

The most likely thing I can think of is improper disposal of medications/antibiotics/etc. down the drain, all medications should be deactivated with carbon prior to disposal.

The most likely thing I can think of is improper disposal of medications/antibiotics/etc. down the drain, all medications should be deactivated with carbon prior to disposal.

Probably this ^^^

Someone saw them or assumed they did something, got ****y and called them in.

To be honest, with all the budget cutting going on in local gov's id be surprised if anyone worry's about this.

Back