DUMB perameters ?

jaylensdad06

Ok.. I feel like I'm second guessing my perams. My Cal is constant at 450-455. My Alk is flat lined at 8.5. And my mag is close to dialed in at 1350. Should I be running mag closer to 1400? Or should I just keep it where I got it? Mixed reef.

I personally don't think raising the mag will do anything at all. Mine stays at 1225 all day long with zero problems. One of the best sps vendors out there runs 1200.

I chased mine for a while, then just said who cares.

Its not really about raising or lowering 1 parameter for myself or in nature. It should be about keeping the elements in specific ratios. All of these elements world wide stay in very specific ratios for balance. They all raise or lower with salinity.

Everything seems to be doing fine..I have a couple sps pieces that seem ok. A purple stylo that has recovered from me bleaching it. And 2 garf bonsai frags I got from specfishin. 1 thing that I just noticed a couple days ago that the green slimer that I got that died. I kept it in the tank and I can see green polyps sticking out of 1 portion of it....kinda crazy. I was just curious if running slightly higher Cal would mean I need to run slightly higher mag...my Alk seems to be dialed in.

To me your calcium and magnesium are higher than they need to be but that does not in anyway mean that they aren't just fine and your tank will still be healthy.
Elevated levels are just that. I have seen studies that show elevated alk boosts growth. I have seen studies that show low alk boosts growth. I do know corals grow in the ocean when man doesn't destroy them so I go with as close to nature as I can. Never perfect but all I can do is try. Let me find some charts for you.
The alk measure is total alkalinity. Carbonates, bicarbonates, boron and a few very minors. So if you are not adding boron wuth your alk you have to guess where you really are.

I have been using the red sea products. Cal Alk n mag..and I believe they all have other aditives. And I am about to start the coral colors program.

Back