Dying mushie?

Cuzzoo

Does this look like my mushroom is dying? I think my light was burning it. The flex arm for my light had to be cut by original owner. So my light was close to the top of the water , about 6 - 8 inches above water. I replaced flex arm with brand new one today and it’s sitting about 17 - 20 inches above water now. The mushroom got direct light in the spot it was in for the last week or so. Today is when I notched all the white stuff on the mushroom. I moved it to the corner of my tank , kinda shaded by my rock work. Hoping it’ll reciprocate in the new spot and since the light is higher above the water line now.

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    963.9 KB · Views: 24
I don't know that it is dying but, it doesn't look happy. What are your water parameters? IME, mushroom corals prefer a bit dirtier water than SPS.

My ammonia and nitrite have been zero for about a month. I got a new piece of live rock into my aquarium and it made my nitrate really high for a week or two. I did a twenty percent water change last weekend and my nitrate is at 10 ppm. I haven’t tested water parameters this week. I usually test every Saturday

My ammonia and nitrite have been zero for about a month. I got a new piece of live rock into my aquarium and it made my nitrate really high for a week or two. I did a twenty percent water change last weekend and my nitrate is at 10 ppm. I haven’t tested water parameters this week. I usually test every Saturday
10 ppm NO3 is fine. It could be the light. Since you raised the light, just keep an eye on the mushroom, IMO.
1715981189157.png

10 ppm NO3 is fine. It could be the light. Since you raised the light, just keep an eye on the mushroom, IMO.
View attachment 32401540
Thank you very much for the advice! My light is an Orbit R24 if that helps any. I’m hoping it was just the light being to close. I looked at it when I stopped home from work to change and get my son’s car seat to go pick him up , it kinda looked worse than when I took that picture the other day. It looks like it is shrinking. I’ve noticed a hitchhiker the last couple on nights when the light goes out hiding where my KP Live rock sits on the arc where it connects to make the arcway. I can’t get a good view of it because it darts back wherever it’s hiding soon as the light from my phone hits it. It’s white and kinda elongated body looks like it has tentacles or legs coming off it. Only that one mushie in the picture is looking rough out of all my coral. Sooo , idk what is going on!🤦🏻‍♂️

That live rock is removable , so I might take it out to get see what that hitchhiker is. How long can the live rock be out the water without killing the beneficial bacteria and coralline algae?

Is there another test kit you recommend? I’m using Red Sea multi marine kit. I’ve been looking into the Hannah Alkalinity tester and Phosphate tester

I know nothing about LED lighting. I’m a hold out and still using metal halide so, I really can’t give advise there but. @kharmaguru @reefing102 @wvned should be able to help there.

Keeping rock out of the water for a couple of hours you should be fine, any longer you’ll likley have a mini cycle.

For test kits, I prefer Salifert and Hanna checkers. Just personal preference. Red Sea have a good reputation. But, hobby grade test kits are likely not completely accurate but, will get you close.

Thank you very much for your advice!! Yea I wanna get find out what that hitchhiker is!! I talked to my buddy I bought the light from. Told him about what was happening and he said yea the light was to close and more than likely burning my coral. That moving it up was a smart move. I’m thinking about getting the Hannah checkers

My mushroom is looking a little better today , it’s a hairy lavender mushroom and its little hairy parts ( don’t know what they are actually called haha ) are sticking out more. I’m doing my weekly testing soon

Thank you for all the advice and help , it’s much appreciated! I’m hoping to be as knowledgeable and helpful as y’all have been for me one day for others!!

Sooo , I don’t think the light is the cause anymore. The hitchhiker I mentioned before in this post , I believe is a bobbit worm. I’ll upload the best photo I have been able to get of it. This morning when I was looking at my tank before leaving for work. I noticed my Acan is all white. I thought it was bleaching but I sent a photo to my buddy that helped me with the setup of my tank and he said looks like something has been eating it. When I sent him the best photo I got of the hitchhiker he said look up bobbit worms. Anyone have any tips on how to remove him? He’s hiding in a spot on my live rock that is removable

Attachments

• IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 12
I haven’t been able to catch the worm but I did catch this massive guy , he was a little bigger than a quarter!

Attachments

• IMG_1700.jpeg
    IMG_1700.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 7
Where did you get your live rock from? Region of the world it came from? IMO, that doesn’t look like a bad crab, most bad crabs are “hairy” looking and have sharp pincher tips. That looks more like an algae grazing crab to me.

Looks like a mithrax crab of some sort. Generally considered a good algae eater but there are stories of “rogue” crabs

Where did you get your live rock from? Region of the world it came from? IMO, that doesn’t look like a bad crab, most bad crabs are “hairy” looking and have sharp pincher tips. That looks more like an algae grazing crab to me.
I got my live rock from KP Aquatics , says they have a farm or whatever ya call it for rocks in the ocean in Florida Keys. After all the research I’ve done I think it was a red mithrix crab. I gave it to a buddy for their sump. It grew way faster than the other on that came as a hitchhiker on my KP live rock. They started about the size of a dime and the one that’s still left in my tank is about the size of a penny

Back