Elkhorn Coral Breeding a Success!

That’s awesome to hear about
Yes, yes it is. I realize the article is about A. Palmata but, back in March Mrs griss and I went to Key Largo for 5 days. We went to the visitor center at Pennekamp State Park where they have some aquariums. I was surprised and amazed that they had A. Cervicornis growing in one of the aquariums. One colony was spreading across the back wall of the tank.
Acro1.jpg
Acro2.jpg

Last edited:
Man…it’s not the prettiest but to be able to get a piece would be absolutely amazing. Even if not as a “back up” where if the research/rehab pieces crash they don’t have to take more.

Man…it’s not the prettiest but to be able to get a piece would be absolutely amazing. Even if not as a “back up” where if the research/rehab pieces crash they don’t have to take more.
Agreed.

I got certified in SCUBA in Marathon Key in 1986. The amount of A. Palmata and A. Cervicornis back then was unbelievable. I hadn't been back to the Keys until this year and, while we didn't dive, we did do some snorkeling. Based on what I had heard, I didn't expect to see any Elkhorn at all and was surprised to see at least 20-30 small/medium colonies on the 3 reefs we snorkeled. They were probably in about 20' of water.

I remember in 2004/2005 I snorkeled the barrier reef off the coast of Mexico (forget the name) but saw 1 huge colony from a distance but our guides wouldn’t let us go near it. Back then I didn’t understand but now I do.

I remember in 2004/2005 I snorkeled the barrier reef off the coast of Mexico (forget the name) but saw 1 huge colony from a distance but our guides wouldn’t let us go near it. Back then I didn’t understand but now I do.
About 18 years ago, we took the kids to Riviera Maya (Grand Sirenis resort). The reefs there we still stunning then. TONS of giant Elkhorn colonies about 25-50 yards right off the beach. The one dive trip we took, the reefs were absolutely pristine. Unfortunately, we haven't been back since, so I wonder how they are faring today.

I’d love to go back and snorkel. It’s just out of my budget right now

Back