Emperor angelfish with Popeye infection

Mihai99

Hi, My emperor angelfish has Popeyes, at both eyes, for about 2 weeks. Initially had cloudy eyes, but that turned into Popeye. I treated a week with NeoPlex in the main tank and then with Kanaplex in the quarantine tank for two sessions of 2 days each. I just couldn't find the treatment faster in needed quantity. The emperor was the only one with problems in the community tank of 200 gallons. In the instructions says to apply maximum 3 sessions of treatment with KanaPlex. From your experience should I put it back in the main tank or keep it in the quarantine tank? It is obvious not comfortable in the quarantine tank. I have it for 2 years since was a juvenile. Please notice that the water parameters are good. Thanks a lot for help in advance!

Welcome to RC! With that out of the way, generally most of our guys that are good with fish diseases want specific parameters. Anyway, I’m no good with disease treatments generally, but I’ll go ahead and tag our experts. @leebca @Dr. Reef @HumbleFish any thoughts?

should I put it back in the main tank or keep it in the quarantine tank?
Keep the fish in a quarantine/hospital tank.

Kanaplex is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. The 'problem' with Popeye is figuring out what kind of bacteria are at play and then treating those particular bacteria. In this case, the symptom is not related to an injury, since both eyes have a problem.

Finish the Kanaplex treatment. Obtain Erythromycin (e.g., Maracyn). Treat the fish with this antibiotic.

Most bacteria that infect ornamental marine fishes are Gram Negative. But most bacteria causing Popeye are Gram Positive. Erythromycin treats Gram Positive infections and is the primary use of this antibiotic on ornamental marine fishes.

Please read through the Fish Nutrition post. Provide this fish with supplements for an ill fish, noted in that post.

At your next opportunity, provide a video longer than one minute under low white light up close to the fish, showing both sides of the fish would be helpful. You can upload the video to YouTube then post the link to it here.

Many thanks for your advice.
My issue is about not giving overdose of KanaPlex. It took one NeoPlex dose in the main tank and then two KanaPlex in the quarantine tank.
It doesn't eat for two weeks, I can't give supplements in the food.
Unfortunately I can't find Erythromycin based treatment for fishes here in Romania. Only some general use Erythromycin.
Notice that the other fishes are just fine even the Powder blue tang.
I was afraid that the quarantine tank is so stressful that will kill it. So inn the meantime I put it back in the main tank.
If I will keep it in the quarantine tank, should I change the water that still contains KanaPlex or is not necessary?

Here there are some videos

So, what can I do to save it? Thank you in advance!

Is the fish able to see? For instance, does it know you are near the tank? It may not be eating because it is partially or totally blind. A healthy fish can live several weeks without eating, but obviously the more time that passes, the harder the fish may be able to resume eating.

here in Romania.
I didn't realize you were not in the USA. Many countries in Europe don't allow some or all antibiotics for fish due to: 1) people buy them 'for fish' then take the medication themselves; and 2) some medications are not allowed for use on food fishes.

Erythromycin in the USA is used to treat Popeye in ornamental marine fishes. If you have a good relationship with your primary care phsycian, you might attempt to get a prescription for some in the form of Erythromycin Phosphate. A secondary choice (and one far removed from the more effective Erythromycin) is Metronidazole. Is that available to you?

Some hobbyists in countries outside the USA order these fish medication online and hope the order gets through Customs.

There are three primary causes of Popeye: 1) physical damage, 2) bacterial infections, or 3) flukes or worms. This fish is breathing faster than 'normal.' Normal would be 120/min and I measured about 150/min.

It could be flukes/worms.
Eye Flukes.png

Look inside the eye. Is the eye 'clear' or do you see white 'things' like in this photo?
If you do see these things, then the fish just doesn't have Popeye from bacteria, but has eye flukes.
should I keep the light on for the day time in the quarantine tank?
Wherever the fish is now, the lighting should be from ambient room lighting. You don't want to put a strong light on a fish in this condition.

I can find MetroPlex from Seachem.
I think that it can see because prefers to go for the light and reacts when see the movement outside.
But stopped eating some days ago, even smells the food (algae) but not eating at all.

I can find MetroPlex from Seachem.
That is some progress.

I would still put the fish in a hospital tank. Treat with Metroplex. Follow the directions that come with Metroplex.

What was the fish eating before it stopped?

That is some progress.

I would still put the fish in a hospital tank. Treat with Metroplex. Follow the directions that come with Metroplex.

What was the fish eating before it stopped?

Attachments

• Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 10
I will try with Metroplex. How long should I keep it in the quarantine tank? From your experience, is there a good chance to recover? Thank you!

First, regarding the foods. I would recommend replacing most of the pellet and flake foods with frozen foods, if you can. This benefits all your fishes.
How long should I keep it in the quarantine tank
Keep the fish is the quarantine tank until the fish is healed, OR after the Metroplex treatment AND is eating.
is there a good chance to recover?
Seeing what the fish looks like now and considering you are not treating with Erythromycin, I'd say there is about a 20% chance of recovery. I'm sorry I don't have better news. Some fishes live on with the Popeye providing they are eating, for years. That is to say, though there is a low chance for recovery the fish can learn to live with the condition. Their lifespan is usually shortened, though.

Back