Equipment maintenance....

waterman78

Just curious about this one.

How many of you perform equipment maintenance for your system?

If you do...how often and what is your method of keeping the equipment in good working condition?

I'm thinking of investing in more expensive pumps but didn't want to ruin my purchase with bad cleaning habits...(brushes and scrubbing pads).

Thanks.

Larry

i do it about once a year on average... or when something really really needs it lol. Most of the maintenance is for the system is on the pumps. I run MP40 and MP60 on my system so it's pretty easy, just take off the wetside and soak them for a few hours in citric acid/water and come back with a brush and they are as good as new. Return pump and skimmer pump aren't usually too bad.. I just take it apart and brush off the impeller. If it's bad then I just soak them for a few hours and brush.

I also do my pumps once a year haha. Sicce and vortechs have been very good to me. I've tried every 3 or 6 months but it never happens.. other equipment like calcium and kalkwasser reactors I do when required though since that directly impacts stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yearly maintenance of pumps is usually enough. Citric acid is better for them than vinegar. Vinegar can have adverse reactions with impeller magnets. Check all magnets inside the tank for swelling, rust and pending failure. Check your heaters and you should be good to go.

I dont know how down I am about that run to fail part but I can definetly support having back up gear on hand for critical stuff.

For me...

Power Heads = Quarterly
Pumps = Semi Annually
Everything else = as deemed appropriate

Merry Christmas to you all. Thank you for the information. I took your advice and I purchase the Citric Acid from Amazon and all I can say is WOW! I am amazed at how much coralline algae and gunk was removed from my circulation pumps. I think I'll do more equipment heading into the new year. Putting the year 2020 behind me.

KNOWLEDGE IS KEY TO SUCCESSFUL REEFING. I AM TRULY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR INPUT. THANK YOU ALL. BE SAFE CELEBRATING WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

- LARRY

Back