Eric Borneman Speech April 8th in TC

Tico Mike

Hi All, The TCMAS is hosting Eric Borneman on Saturday April 8th at 9am at Augsburgh College in Minneapolis. Details to follow. Post your interest here.

Yes, once we confirm directions to the college, I'll post them here. There will also be a dinner at the Rainforest Cafe Saturday night. This will be informal, but a chance to meet Eric in a relaxed setting. We still have to confirm a few things, but will have an official listing to post here within a day or two...

I had the chance to attend several speeches given by Eric Borneman at an event held by our club in Atlanta. I would recommend to everyone that can attend to make it a point and go. Eric was not only a wealth of information, but was just a great personality overall. Meeting Eric and sitting in on his speeches has undoubtedly been the high point of my reef hobby. You owe it to yourself to GO.

Speech will be at 9:00. Reception time before lunch and tank tours. I believe there will be 5 reef tanks in the Twin Cities that will be "toured". An hour at each place. Most people are going to pick one house to go to. If you are from out of town and just coming for the day, you can hit the first one and get a chance to chat with Eric in a smaller setting. There will be one microscope projector if you'd like to bring samples of anything to check out under the microscope. If you have red bugs or flatworms, bring them along. I believe the microscopes have cameras as well. The speech is free of charge with goodwill donation for those who care to contribute. No pressure there though. You guys spend your money on gas and get down here.

Update: We have confirmed that there will be free parking at the College. That means you can put your parking money in your gas tanks.

Here's the info. Tank tour info to follow...

Eric Borneman Speech April 8th Info and Directions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title of his speech will be: "Understanding the Nature of, and Factors Involved in Coral Coloration"

Let's learn how to get our stuff to color up!

Notice the free Parking Bill came through with! No excuses not to go now!

He will also give a brief summation of the direction of the hobby and any promising new treatments in pest eradication.

OK, here are the details:

Directions and a map of the Augsburg Campus can be found at the following two links:

http://www.augsburg.edu/transforming/directions

and

http://www.augsburg.edu/transforming/map

Free parking in Lot L (and ONLY in lot L) ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ the security dept. says they will not ticket this lot for an hour or so before and after our Friday and Saturday events. Lot L is a new lot that is on the East end of campus.

If I (and the Facilities office) have my (our) act(s) together, we will have signs up at this lot indicating that it is OK to park there for this event.

The Friday afternoon talk will be at 3:30 in the Science Auditorium (Science Hall, Room 123). Science Hall is Building 23 on the map.

The Saturday morning talk will be at 9:00 in the Sateren Auditorium, which is inside the Music Hall. Music Hall is Building 18 on the map.

(all the rooms are the same ones as when Ron Shimek was here)

Reception/informal gathering after the Saturday talk in Science Hall 224:
After the Saturday talk we can go up to the lab where my tanks are (Science Hall 224) for a reception of sorts. At the reception/gathering you can have conversations with Eric and other TCMAS members, critique my tanks, wonder why my corals are all so close together (and make bets as to how soon they will start killing each other if I don't spread them out more), wonder why I don't fix the non-functional Sea Swirls or repaint the shelf with peeling paint that my turf scrubber is on, etc....(but I digress).

I'll also have a super nice microscope or two set up with a camera and projector so folks can look at little critters up close if they want. And if you have never seen SPS coral polyps under a microscope, I'll have to show you a Pocillopora damicornis frag under the scope....it is very very cool. Feather duster cilia are also stunningly attractive and cool under high magnification. Time might be limited for this sort of thing though. I can host another meeting sometime to do more of these sorts of demos if people want.

Yikes.....I'll need to clean and tidy up the lab!

Am I forgetting anything here?

Mike: Did we have titles for the talks (I remember reading them somewhere, but I don't recall where)? Hmm..maybe they are somewhere in this thread? If not, maybe we should post them again.

If anyone can think of anything else, please post here.

If anyone can print up some flyers to post at the LFS they frequent that would be appreciated. Maybe post here if you can copy this info (may have to print the maps off the links) so we don't double up. Free parking for anyone who puts up a flier!

Back