Fe++ supplements for Reef tanks?

I've been doing some searching online for iron supplements for my macroalgae. I've found two that seem to be just an iron supplement. There is quite a price difference between the two, Elos - $26.99 vs. SeaChem Florish - $5.99. Granted SeaChem Florish's label refers to freshwater plants. Is there any reason that the SeaChem Florish would not be the best to buy for my purposes? :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elos Expert Line Extra Iron : $26.99
Description
Expert Line Extra Iron 25ml

Iron is a key element for all forms of vegetation or animal life. Necessary to transport oxygen and nourishment inside the tissues, iron is known as a catalyst in the building of chlorophyll and enzymes which are both necessary for the biological equilibrium of the marine tank. Its use also improves the activity of zooxanthellae. Although synthetic salts and additives "may" contain iron, the unfortunate fact is that they often are not very efficient when it comes to absorption and utilization.

In order to ensure that our tank population has the maximum chance for survival and growth, we should certainly attempt to administer the best forms of nutrients we can. This brings about the need to either have additives that remain in the water longer or to adjust the dosage so that all required elements are present on a continuous basis in the aquarium water and at the same time remain in the same concentrations as needed (both in terms of quantity and as a percentage of each). For this need we have created the ELOS Extra Iron.

In contrast to many products available on the market that pretend to add these missing elements all together, EXPERT LINE supplements make it possible for an aquarist to restore and maintain each of the key aquarium water parameters within the correct ranges, thereby increasing the health and vigor of the inhabitants.

Elos EXPERT LINE products are manufactured from pharmaceutically pure salts, under strict control, in modern facilities designed for the preparation of high-purity pharmaceuticals. They are free from synthetic additives and contain no nitrates, phosphates or silicates thus avoiding adding undesirable by-products to the water. Mixed in sterile environment, packed using dark glass containers to avoid contamination, blended to provide sustained bio-availability in the medium-long term rather than simply increasing, in the short term, the targeted element these additives offer maximum durability and quality thus improving the biological/chemical equilibrium inside our tanks.

Elos Extra Iron, an additive of the EXPERT LINE, is a very efficient, highly concentrated integrator that contains chelated Iron in a very effective form readily available to corals and Macro algae. When adding iron into a marine aquarium it is very important to carefully select its form. Iron(III) is quite insoluble at a pH of 8.2 and may simply precipitate when added to the salt water, iron bound to organic molecules may be readily skimmed, or may simply not be bio-available when chelated to certain organics, in high pH environments where certain additives are introduced (like limewater) iron can precipitate causing formation of oxide and hydroxides or bind onto calcium carbonate surfaces, etc.. Elos Extra Iron has been carefully formulated and supplies iron needed for proper growth and health of invertebrates and Macro Algae.

Important: During our production process we take particular care to avoid contaminations to our raw materials. We dedicate a lot of attention to our stock and supply chain in order to always supply the freshest production batch possible. In order to make all this attention useful when you use our EXPERT LINE integrators take notice of the stocking condition. When you purchase a product, always be sure to check the “Best Before Date” or the “production date”. Only this will ensure you that the product that you use is the product that we have intended for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seachem Flourish Iron 250 mL : $5.99
Description: (Lable refers to freshwater plants)
Seachem Flourish Ironâ"žÂ¢ is a highly concentrated (10,000 mg/L) ferrous iron (Fe+2) gluconate supplement. It should be used in those cases where the iron requirements exceed that which can be delivered by Flourishâ"žÂ¢ at the recommended dose or signs of iron deficiency appear (such as short and slender stems or yellowing between veins.) Plants are able to much more easily derive a benefit from Flourish Ironâ"žÂ¢ than from EDTA-iron sources because all EDTA iron is in the ferric (Fe+3) state. Since plants require iron in the ferrous state, additional physiological energy must be expended in order to extract the ferric iron from EDTA-iron and then convert it to the ferrous form. Contains no phosphate or nitrate.

I use the same ingredient in Seachem Flourish (ferrous gluconate) that I buy at a local drug store as Fergon tablets. I dissolve one tablet in about 50 mL of water, let it settle, and then dose a few mL each week.

Thanks Randy for the response. I will pick some up. :)

A quick search online comes up with the Fergon tablets and also a generic form which is half the price:

$ 3.39 FERROUS GLUCONATE 240MG IRON SUPPLEMENT COMPARE TO FERGON TABLETS 100
FERROUS GLUCONATE 240MG IRON SUPPLEMENT COMPARE TO FERGON TABLETS 100 ITEM NO.: MASON1375 NDC/UPC NO.: 31184513751-7

I assume the generic form will work also for half the price?

I'd double check the ingredient list, if you can, and the brand name I bought was not much cheaper, I think, than the Seachem product, but at least I knew everything in it. Look to avoid phosphates, of course. :)

I bought the Fergon because the other had different ingredients that I was not sure of. There is a pretty long list of ingredients in Fergon itself. I would not have known whether Fergon was safe to use. :D Thanks again Randy for your help.

You're welcome.

Most of the extra stuff in Fergon will not dissolve, so it settles out and you can just decant off the clear liquid for use. They are things added to more readily make tablets, but are pretty benign anyway.

Back