First "Real" Saltwater Fish Tank

Slufa111

So this thread is probably way overdue but I literally have been so busy I figured I would post now, as its better late than never.

I started with a 29 gallon tank with no sump and a hob filter... needless to say, my water quality was poop poop so I bought a HOB Skimmer which worked great but my wife thought it looked hideous and I agreed. While she was in CA for a LuLaRoe convention, I went to my LFS here in PA and bought a 65gallon reef ready fish tank so I could make it more stream line hehe... typical fish addiction excuse

I set everything up and let it run for a week with new live rock, egg crates, new substrate (crushed coral) and made sure all of the parameters matched my 29 gallon. I then transferred everything over and thus far, it has been awesome! I added a BRS Reactor with GFO/Carbon tonight and did a little cable management...trust me it is way better now than before.

So I have,

65gallon reef ready tank
20gallon long sump (I made it)
SCA-301 In sump Skimmer
PP-8 Power head
2X 200W heaters which are set at 80 degrees
AquaMag 5 Pump
60ish pounds of live rock
35 lbs of crush coral

I do have livestock:
1x Blue Damsel (getting rid of this lol)
2x Peppermint shrimp
10x snails
2x hermit crab

When I get rid of the Damsel... can you recommend additional livestock such and clownfish or something active, the damsel just hides.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
What I would do is plan out your stocking list. From there I would move very slowly with adding livestock. By slowly, I mean like no more than one new fish per month with a new tank. My recommendation is buy your more shy and peaceful fish first and your more aggressive last.
Some recommendations:
Blue sapphire damsel (super underrated fish and is actually active and peaceful)
6 line wrasse (add last)
Flame angel (caution with coral)
Firefish
Court jester goby
Goby/shrimp pair
Candycane hogfish

Have you ever looked around on live aquaria? They have a pretty good selection of livestock and have the species "stats" posted to help you make educated decisions.

Last edited:
I hope you don't have the GFO and carbon in the same reactor. That's a no-no. Also, why did you use crushed coral? It's too late now, but that's not the best choice.

I would go to live aquaria and check out their beginner fish. I would advise getting reef sate and peaceful fish.

Here are some suggestions:

Fire fish peaceful and hardy
Bengai Cardinals - nice fish look slow but add food and they move.
Flasher wrasse or fairy wrasse - active peaceful fish.
Gobies there are a number of different kinds that would work.
Blue green chromis not so hardy but they are very inexpensive.

Your tank might be large enough for a Kole tang or any tang in that genus. They are good at algae control.

I tend to under stock tanks. So four to six small fish should be right.

Back