Floating floor and heavy tank

nctinter

Getting ready to redo my floors and would really like to do Coretec. It's like laminate but 100% water proof and looks and feels like real wood. I have a 265g tank in the middle of the room. I'm worried that if i put the tank on top of the floor, the weight would not allow it to expand and contract. Right now it is on tile. I could always cut around the tank but was hoping to avoid that in case we move. Any one have any input on this, experience? Thank you

I just installed 600 sqr ft in my house. I don't think that you will have a problem with it since it's made with mostly PVC, vinyl and cork. I don't think that it will expand and contract much if any.

The issue with floating floors is there needs to be space from wall to wall to allow for expansion and prevent the floor from buckling/popping. Objects, even tanks, will not cause this to happen if the floor is installed correctly. The expansion would happen around the tank out to the walls.

Thanks for the input guys. Cuzza I see your point. In my mind I was thinking wall to wall on the expansion and that the tank would stop it. Or maybe crush the floor. The tank will sit perpendicular to the planks

I've had this type of floor installed in a rental home and when the tenant left, there were indents wherever something heavy sat (couch legs, table, etc). I can only imagine that the same would happen underneath the tank. If you're worried about home resale value later, that may play a part. Of course, you can also save a few boxes to replace those planks if you ever move.

Back