Freedom Filter - anyone using this?

jdhanover

I am looking to set up a SW tank (did FW before but the tank is very old and fairly scratched up). Been looking at used setups but leery of them for one reason or another (often the stand - wife wants it to match other cabinets thus I probably need to make it DIY)

But filtering etc is another issue. Saw an ad for this (website is www.freedomaquariums.com and it seems like (if it works) to be ideal for what I want.

Does anyone know about this or know any of the people quoted in the testimonals?
Thanks!

There is another thread on here somewhere discussing that filter. For the most part though, most people leave the filtering to liverock, skimmer and a sump/refug.

Search isn't working (server too busy). If someone can tell me where (which forum and date) this thread was, I'd appreciate it.
Given this product is relatively new, I know that there aren't going to be many who have used it but I am wondering what the experience is of those who have or if there is something inherently wrong with it.
Thanks!

Did a search for you, I didn't see anything that had any info - just people saying they don't know anything about it. If you really want be to post the links I can, but there is no info.

Hmm. Thanks. Guess I need to keep searching for someone who is using it - I have asked the company for more info. I think the product has been out for a couple of years. If I find out more I will post.

It looks like a fancy hang in tank overflow/skimmer. Since this thing actually sits in the tank that is one large shoebox that you will be staring at when you look inside the tank.

HOB skimmers are just that they hang on the back of the tank so you don't see how intrusive they are.

Good point. My thought is that I could go with a 120g (24" wide) tank with this in it, or a 90g with HOB. Tank will be up against a wall and viewed mostly from front and right side (thus I would put this in the back left corner).
But unless someone has this and can recommend it I guess I am back at thinking about a 120g RR with sump etc. Was trying to avoid all the plumbing. I am mechanically inclined but the whole sump thing is still confusing. I'll search around for more info on them, especially pre-made ones, I guess.

Just my 2 cents but for a sizable tank like a 120 I would suggest getting it drilled, and overflow boxes installed. I think if you do anything else you will be kicking yourself later, then fooling around with siphon overflows etc........in the long run it will be cheaper to get a reef ready, drilled tank.
There are no HOB skimmers that will handle a fully stocked 120, and a sump will allow you to hide all your equipment....
Plumbing isn't too complicated for a sump connected to a drilled tank.....it is complicated if you end up using siphons etc......
Just my opinion...
Aaron

Thanks everyone. Guess I am back to a 90g or 120g RR. Would love the 120 but that seems to really jump the cost even with building the stand myself (tank, pumps, sump size, LR, etc). Still investigating but guessing I windup with a 90. Continuing to check out used setups....

Back