Fuge question - help me!

40gal

Premium Member
Ok I am planning on setting up a fuge on my 20 gal nano. I built a diy sump/fuge inside of the tank using a 1/4" acrylic sheet. Right now it is transparent (although I tried to sand the tank side of it hoping it would cover with coraline algae quicker). The sump fuge has 3 sections, the overflow from the tank, the fuge (where the heater is), and the return.

My question is, can I keep this as a fuge withought 24/7 lighting? If I put a light on this section, it will light up the whole tank, and I don't want to do that. If the back wall of my tank (the acrylic sheet) ever completely covers with coraline (I have not had much luck with coraline growth), then I could add a light and it wouldn't effect my tank much. For now, what should I do?

Travis

Hi,
What is your objective for this fuge?
If it is just to grow pods then you could keep it in relative darkness I guess.
But if you want macro algaes in there for nutrient export, to 'clean' your water, then you DO need light.

Also, coralline needs light as well.

The main reasons why people can't grow coralline IMO are:
1. High phosphates/nitrates.
2. Low calcium and alkalinity levels.
3. Not enough flow in the tank.
4. No coralline in your tank to grow and spread.

EDIT* I read lighting and not 24/7 lighting. SOrry.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for not being more clear.

There will be lighting, but just not 24/7. I am running a 175W 20000K MH on the tank and the sump/refuge.

Coralline (or lack of) is still a problem, but I am trying everything possible to remedy that in both of my tanks.

The only reason I want a fuge is for nutrient export, as this tank will be run skimmerless (with frequent water changes of course).

Travis

Sure it will, I've had my 40 setup for almost a year now, and have only seen a couple little spots show up the whole time. Some people have it soooo easy!

Travis

Do you have live rock that had coralline on it when you bought it? You may need to get some fresh stuff with viable coralline growth. Perhaps a fellow reefer in the area has some. Exporting the nutrients via the fuge should help.

I know it's frustrating! My home tank has awesome coralline while my 6 month old office tank is slowly beginning to show new growth.

Good luck and thanks for serving our country in the armed forces!!

Steve

yes I did have LR w/ coralline on it.

Thanks, and no problem - I am proud of what I do, and proud to have people like you that are greatful for our troops.

Travis

Waiting for my new tank to cycle so I have yet to try this "stuff" out on my own, but I did find a G.A.R.F. page that had "Grunge" for sale... from thier description it contains "very many" species/types of coraline. http://www.garf.org/algae2/janitor.html (about halfway down the page)

Can't hurt to try right? :)

I've never bought any of the grunge, but if it is viable coralline, then it would be a positive addition to your tank. I've also heard that you can scrape of pieces of coralline off of your live rock and that will help spread it.

Make sure your alkalinity and calcium are adequate. Dosing kalk helps a lot!!

Back