Future tank goals:

Kizzy911

I currently have a 65 gal red c max, i'm still wit my parents and so i think it would be wise to just wait until i get my own place to start a big tank.

I'm thinking of a 180 gal or a 200gal.
Ofcourse, the real question is, which tank and where do i get it?
Hopefully once i have the money, i can buy the tank that would fit my needs.

I want a 180-200 gallon with a very large sump, thinking of having a 90-100 gallon sump just so ensure that theres a great filtration and that i can fit maybe 1-2 skimmers and have a large section for a refugium.

Tank:
-180-200gal
-Dual overflow
-100+ sump

Equipment wise: (need suggestions)

-Bubble magnum curve 9 or another skimmer maybe a curve 7
-Return pump? I've gotten accustomed to an IN SUMP return, rather than seeing those external thats plumbed outside.
-i don't want anything outside, is that possible? (maybe 2 jebao pumps or something?)
-Lights, Thinking of some T5's and some overgrow LED's, and then later on upgrading to some hydras (waiting in the long run to do some SPS once i've upgraded)

Starting everything dry:
-Dry live sand
-Dry Rocks and maybe some Live rock

Livestock:
-Blue hippo tang
-Achilles Tang
-Blonde Naso/ or Naso
-Powder blue
-Purple tang
-Lemon peel tang
-Pink square anthias'
-2 Black/white clowns
-Pistol shrimp/ Pink spotted goby pair
-Fire Shrimp
-Cleaner shrimp
-2-3 Emerald crabs?
-Hermit crabs
-Hawaiian Fire Wrasses x2
-x2 Bengai cardinal

Looking for a heavy bioload, i might run 2-3 skimmers if i get a large enough sump.

Any thoughts?
If it allows me i'll aim for a 250

my questions:
-Whats the absolute limit on tangs? (i really want all those that i've listed)
-Should i add all tangs at the same time?
- What else am i doing wrong?
- Pros and cons?
-What are better lights to upgrade to, other than hydras?
-How much budget should i save up for all of this?
-Thoughts on the skimmer(s)?

I just wanted to put this out there, I used to do what you just did all the time, create new setups just for the fun of it. Be realistic though, how long will it be until you own a house and can get a tank, if the answer to that question is over a year then you really cant be planning something like this. Equipment and husbandry practices are likely to change and you may not be able to do the things you wanted to do. So although I do enjoy spec-ing out systems like this and I'm glad you do too, it really isn't feasible to plan so far ahead.

i understand, although equipment changes as time passes by, it's still good for me to save up for that something so i'm working towards something. I'd rather save up thinking of something than have a budget for i have no idea what for. I like to envision something haha. Even if the equipment upgrades, atlas i have Some saved up for whatever comes out next year or something.

Nothing wrong with thinking ahead. Only issue I see, is your livestock list. Naso, Achilles, and Hippo Tangs belong in a bigger tank. They usually require 8ft long tanks as the Naso and Hippo can get easily get 12+ inches. The Achilles just needs a lot of room because they came be very aggressive. Doing this time do some research on some more fish.

Yeah, i figured i would. Whats another tang that would be great in replace of the naso? Achilles is my dream fish so i'm sure to find a tank that's bout 7-8 ft long. I'm actually thinking of maybe buying someone locals' tank. It's a 240 gallon stand and canopy. 7 ft long, he's asking $700. pretty good deal imo. Plenty of swimming space for the achilles.

If it makes any difference, just FYI the neck cleaner will fit the curve 7 but not the 5, if that's something you think you'll want in the future.

Back