fuzzy dwarf lionfish

Papio

I just got my fuzzy dwarf lionfish. I have a 18 gallon aquarium with 8pounds of live rock and crush coral. My setup is an underground filter with a powerhead and a power filter. My aquarium has been cycling for a month now with a blue damsel. My lionfish is about 2 inches long, I want to know why my fuzzy guy does not want to eat. The local fish store recomended me to feed him some dried shrimp that the brand Tetra made. if anyone who has a fuzzy lionfish that could give me some advice on how these fuzzy guys live and eat , please leave me a messege. Thanks alot

Your local fish store sounds worthless, unless you see the lion eat dried shrimp in the store it's more than likely you'll need to start the little fellow with live Ghost Shrimps (aka glass shrimp) which can be found at most freshwater fish stores, they are freshwater and let them know they are feeders, sometimes they will give you a price break. Also if they don't have that try guppies, my little dwarf lion eats the ghost shrimps and/or guppies though I go with the ghost shrimp first 5 for $1 as feeders .49 each reg.

Here's a great link Frank wrote that may help:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.htm

guess how much the dried shrimp was

guess how much the dried shrimp was

Man I got played by a LFS, I hate when this happens. I paid 9dollars for the dried shrimp. I should go back and return it huh. :mad: What size guppies should I get? My Fuzzy guy is about 1 inch. Also what else info should I know about the lionfish?

Papio:
Thanks for the email. Yes you have been had by your LFS. Lionfish in the wild eat live swimming fish and shrimp, not dead stuff, so don't expect a lionfish to eat dead foods intially.

My 1st piece of advice
READ THE ARTICLE reefgeekster pointed out (thanks).
I wrote the lionfish info sheet for people like yourself who have never kept lions. it details the lion species, whats suitable and whats not, and how to care for them.

Essentially find an LFS which sells LIVE ghost (or glass, or grass) shrimp, (around here their 15 shrimp for a dollar). Get them to find you small ghost shrimp and feed the lion small ghost shrimp (this is my 1st choice), guppies would be next, however guppies tend to swim at the top of the water column and lions fish sit on the bottom.
Your job over the next few weeks is to wean the lion onto dead foods (not freeze dried krill or shrimp), please read the feeding section in detail to this regards, this is critical.

Also if possible feek free to ask questions in the agressive forum, we have many knowledgeable lionfish owners there.
good luck
frank

I will check out the link too! When I was living in Toronto, ghost shrimp only cost $ 0.25 and my fuzzy loved them. He also took to the Tetra FD krill as well. I kept a small black molly tank that was salt water and fed marine flake to them, among other things. Never did get him to eat basic frozen food.

i had a fuzzy dwarf and he ate the ghost shrimp and guppies but i also got him to eat that dry krill ,you just let it soak up water and when its satturated you put it on a feeder stick and tease it like your fishing until it grabs it,not really teasing it but more like enticing it.

Back