Gelidium pusillum

Bryan

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 0
I looked at some images of the Asparagopsis taxiformis and unless it is staying at the sporophyte stage I don't think so, but that may be a good idea to try some tuxedo urchins.

That looks a bit like cotton candy algae. Put some snails on it. Once my snails found mine, it never could grow back.

Bingo, that's it, googled "cotton candy algae" it and it was like starring in my tank. Now just to eradicate it, may not be easy after reading through some threads. Some of had success with Mexican turbo snails.

Did you see images of the Asparagopsis taxiformis sporophyte stage specifically? Haplodiplontic (multi-life cycle) red algae look remarkably different as sporophytes and gametophytes. Also, don't use morphological duration for identification, the sporophyte stage can be dominant and live much longer than the gametophyte.

It's certainly cotton candy algae, but that's the common name for a few macro species Falkenbergia hillebrandii and the sporophyte stage of Asparagopsis taxiformis are morphologically identical.

A. taxiformis is a fairly common aquarium nuisance algae with large distribution range that overlaps with many regions that export live rock and livestock for aquariums (Hawaii, Florida, the Caribbean, Central & South America, Southwest Asia, Southeast Asia, India & Indian Ocean Islands, Australia & New Zealand, parts of Africa, China, & Japan).

F. hillebrandii is limited to colder waters and/or areas not usually sourced for aquarium livestock (the Mediterranean, Ireland, northern Africa, Channel Islands/France).

Yes, I saw the images of the Asparagopsis and it does look similar to what I have, but the pictures of the cotton candy are bang on. The algae does not grow much beyond what I see in the images of cotton candy so thus why I believe it rules out the Asparagopsis. I have had the outbreak for over a year.

Anyways picked up a couple Mexican turbo snails today and they are happily mowing their way through the algae.

Back