Getting Discouraged

gpkozmp

Okay well right now I have a 40 gallon breeder up and I am having to top it off all the time. I currently do not have A/C in my house, is this something that might be causing this. I have a 100 gallon that I am wanting to set up soon but if it is costing this much of a hassle then I might back off.

Also what are some ways to eleveate this issue. I understand an auto top off would work well but I don't have one, also an RO/DI unit would work wonders so are those the only things/ways that I can correct this problem?

I really like the hobby but this is something that last night I though about and well this morning when I looked at the tank it kind kicked it up a knoch on my belt. Any advice is always more than helpful. Thank you everyone.

How much are you having to top it off, Greg? I go through about 30 gallons every 5-6 days. I do have an RO/DI unit and ATO though. One way to auto top off, without an ATO is to take a water reservoir and set it up above your sump/tank and use flexible tubing. If you can put a John Guest valve on it to control drips that is a good way of controlling how much water goes in for top off. It will be trial and error but you won't have to dump 2-3 gallons at a time in to the sump. If you don't have a valve, then you can tie a knot in the line and pull it tight enough to restrict the drips per minute on it. Make sure your sump can handle the amount of water your reservoir has, in case you have an overflow.

How much are you having to top it off, Greg? I go through about 30 gallons every 5-6 days. I do have an RO/DI unit and ATO though. One way to auto top off, without an ATO is to take a water reservoir and set it up above your sump/tank and use flexible tubing. If you can put a John Guest valve on it to control drips that is a good way of controlling how much water goes in for top off. It will be trial and error but you won't have to dump 2-3 gallons at a time in to the sump. If you don't have a valve, then you can tie a knot in the line and pull it tight enough to restrict the drips per minute on it. Make sure your sump can handle the amount of water your reservoir has, in case you have an overflow.

Well, it kinda died down a little bit a few weeks ago but I added 5 gallons 3 days ago and need to do it again. So, judging from your story it isn't that bad but still a pain in the butt if since I don't have an ATO or an RO/DI. Hopefully I can find one for a good price next saturday...are you going? Might have you explain that a little bit more, I kinda understand what you are saying. Thank you Murfman.

Hey thanks for the help I quickly scanned that second website you gave me and I am going to have to go over it with a little bit more detail and check it out thanks again.

could I trouble you to ask how much he is selling it for?

I can't get on that website it is blocked for me here at work. Thank you for the heads up, hopefully I can find a good deal on one on saturday.

Sweet I am going to have to check that out is there a way I can contact the guy on SCMAS?

I hate not having internet at home and not having access to it anywhere!

I will shoot him a PM for you but he said some other guy sent him a PM on the unit. Don't know if he sold it or not.

You can also look at http://www.autotopoff.com/ They sell pretty cheap auto top off systems! I've used one for over a year and had no issues with it! Plus these ones don't need to be run hooked to an ro/di line constantly so you have a little insurance that it won't get stuck on! There pretty easy to hook up! Just get some type of a container to fill with ro/di, a lift pump, and some air line and your good to go! Depending on the size of resevior you get dictates how often you need to refill! I usually try to get it where it will go two to three days without filling, but top it off everyday anyway! I've found that if you automate everything too much, you can start to neglect your tank!

Murf, the float valve at Lowes is in the aisle with the swamp cooler supplies. They have 3 kinds. I got a new one for $4 a month ago.

Back