good news?

I don't know that it really makes any major difference in management. It's been known for a long time that there was significant genetic separation between populations and that there were outbreaking and non-outbreaking populations. It's not a real game changer in that sense.

About the only place I see this really making much difference is in reconciling some conflicting results about the impacts of nutrient and photoplankton enrichment on larvae. Some studies have shown increased phytoplankton makes no difference in larval survival while others have shown that it does. If it turns out multiple species of star were being tested, those results might make more sense. On the other hand, if they turned out to be the same species then the results are still in conflict and I'm not sure knowing that there are 4 species is really helpful beyond the simple intrinsic value of learning something new.

Thanks for replying. You obviously have a good understanding. My thinking was that it may help manage them better. But my marine bio knowledge is quite limited.

Back