Great Job

tentacle

Premium Member
Simon what a great article you wrote (and great references too). I often see posts from people with calcium reactors that are having problems and many times these people didn't even get instructions with their purchase (whether it be the unit itself, or the regulator system). There's also a lot of people that don't really know what a calcium reactor does, or how it does it. Your article covers all bases. I'm sure many will benefit from your Tuning and Troubleshooting areas. I'll remember to post a link to your article on future posts that involve calcium reactor issues. Again, great job, and thanks for the article. :)

Thanks. In writing the article my intention was to compile most of the FAQ here on ReefCentral about calcium reactor into one article that could act as a resource for the future. I am glad that you feel that was accomplised.

Curious and need help!!

Curious and need help!!

I also saw your ad and need some help? I have an MTC calcium reactor. I was told not to ad an airstone to the effluent? When i did my ph levels were great 8.03 to 8.25. DKH 13.4 calcium 370 for a 325 gallon tank. So i stopped with the airstone as told by the MTC calcium reactor guys and my ph went down to 7.85 and and high of 8.05? They say that the carbon dioxide is used to bond ions in the water for the right and best chemistry. What do you think! I would like to have my p.h. around 8.3 high and 8.15 low. Im dripping .045 liters and hour with 1 bubble and minute for carbon dioxide. What do you reccomend?? Is the airstone o.k. or not o.k.! You can email me at www.pennyssalsa@hotmail.com if you could please. Thank you for your help??

Apologies for my late reply.

I presume your effluent dripped into a small container and then you had an airstone to blow off the CO2? One of the problems you may encounter with this method is that as the pH rises the calcium carbonate becomes more saturated and will tend to preciptiate more easily. You may get away with the method if you are only increasing the pH a small amount.

Second chambers filled with aragonite are another way to boost the pH slightly. In my experience only a small increase though. Using a second chamber it is less likely to lead to major precipitation problems.

Another method, and one which I use, is just to use limewater (kalkwasser) as top-off water.

Randy Holmes-Farley has an article in this months Advanced Aquarist on pH and some problems - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

Hope this helps.

Back