Green Hair Algae back after switching to T5

Webmanny

Hi guys,

About a month ago I decided to give T5 lights a try to test for myself if there were any color changes to my corals. So far, the only change I have noticed is that the Green Hair Algae that I had finally defeated three months ago, has returned with a vengeance.

The only change that has taken place in my tank has been the light. All routine maintenance and feeding is automated and nothing else has changed.

This was intentionally, as I wanted to see the effects of the light and only the light. Therefore, I made extra sure that nothing else would change and stayed in the same automated schedule.

The current schedule of the light is below. I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar. I'm thinking of testing this setup for one more month and if I don't see some improvements in coral growth or color, I will probably switch back to my DIY LEDs.

1st Giesemann Super Actinic and Giesemann Super Purple = Half of the lights
from 1:00pm to 9:00pm

2nd Giesemann Super Actinic and 14000K White = full noon (4 bulbs)
From 1:30pm to 8:30pm

Moon light LEDs
From 1:30pm to 9:30pm

You have nutrients & phosphates that feed the algae in your water column.

T5's have more red wavelength in them, so the algae will grow faster than under LEDs.

You have nutrients & phosphates that feed the algae in your water column.

Agreed, but I imagined that since GHA was not growing under my LEDs, that the levels were under control, but I guess not.

T5's have more red wavelength in them, so the algae will grow faster than under LEDs.

This is what I suspected, since nothing else changed in my tank. I'll try to further reduce nutrients to see if that helps, but based on my Redsea test kits, my Phosphates are already at 0.02 and nitrates are under 5 ppm.

Thank you for your feedback.

Change the 14k to a Blue Plus ATI or similar. You have a ton of red in that selection of bulbs.

I would run:

Actinic
Blue Plus
Coral plus
Blue Plus

Led Strip

I am not going to state that T5's are more effective lights, due to people freaking out as a result and state what we already know from reading other countless threads, so I will state that T5's are different than LED. (as you can see.)

I am running an ATI 80w x 8 over a 300DD. My initial Whiter spectrum bulb selection I experienced more algae after switching from three Radions.

So now I run 4 blue plus, 2 Actinic, 2 coral plus & a 60 inch Reef Brite XHO Blue LED strip.

I might sub out a coral plus for another blue plus, almost similar par and I like more blue at the 460nm peak range.

Once I turned down the spectrum to 20K plus all my algae went away.

Granted I perform 15% water changes weekly and read 0 phosphates.

10am LED On
11am Actinic On
1pm Blue Plus & Coral Plus On
7pm Blue Plus & Coral Plus Off
9pm Actinic Off
10pm LED Off

Once you master T5's you will have very positive results. Also try turning down your "high sun" photoperiod.

I due love LEDS - I just would rather run either T5's or MH's as my main light source.

Yes T5's are an Additional expense but not a big deal to me. No heat issues since I am not hanging my light in an enclosed canopy and about 12 - 14 inches above water. Running fans in the sump which keep temp with in 1 degree.

Good luck, stick with it. I got upset at first too.

Did you know that World Wide Corals on there main display 500g 8 blue plus 2 coral plus and 4 LED Blue Strips. No algae to find. Two banks of 80w 5 T5's on either side of the 10 foot tank.

Last edited:
I don't like the red in the Super purple. What Bobby said is a good combo.

Something I noticed when starting my 300 was that half my tank was lite well (led and t5 and the other half not until I saved up enough for another led). The side not lit well, actually had more issues than the side that was lit very well.

Also I run a longer photo period. My T5s are on for 10 hours and the LEDs ramp up and down over a 10 hour period. To date, the 300 is GHA free even when I add a piece of LR that has some on it .... gone in a few days. Granted the 300 is still very "raw and new" (12 weeks or so) but no hair algae at all.

Anyway, definitely nutrients as you know because the GHA has to consume something, that's why the false positives. Get rid of the red spectrum for sure.

my couple pennies :)

Thank you guys. I'll try the bulb change, reduce the full noon period and keep reducing the nutrients to see where it goes.

I am installing that Blue Plus on Tuesday.

Back to Front

B+
B+
Actinic
Coral +
B +
Actinic
B +
B +

XHO Blue LED

Back