Green Leafs Growing in Tank

Reeferman1019

IMG_2694.jpg
IMG_2695.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda looks like macro of some sort to me. But I agree with Manny, hard to tell with the pics provided. Take a pic with just the whites on, that'll help I'd what it is

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

All good questions. I would wait for some of the smarter, more experienced guys to jump in before making any significant changes.

looks like Macro. Probably a little high in phosphates and nitrates as it usually needs to consume to survive. probably not harmful, but points to maybe some deeper things you might want to look at.

I agree with Webmanny. I would hold off taking action until someone identifies the type of macro algae.
That looks like a slow growing algae IME. I'm no expert but I had that in my tank for a while. Didn't do any damage, went away on its own once my tank got more mature.

It is almost surely a species of dictyota, most likely dictyoa dichotoma.
Some people like the look of it, some people hate it because it can be invasive and a pain to get rid of considering that very few things eat it. It can also grow in relatively clean water so it might be very difficult to "starve" into submission.
If you try to remove some of it manually, be sure to take the rock out of the tank first.Otherwise any loose pieces will just colonize other spots in the tank.

I agree with Webmanny. I would hold off taking action until someone identifies the type of macro algae.
That looks like a slow growing algae IME. I'm no expert but I had that in my tank for a while. Didn't do any damage, went away on its own once my tank got more mature.

How long did it take to go away on its own?

Over months. I just noticed it was gone. I didn't mind it and did nothing to get rid if it. I think it was one of those many things that take care of themselves once the phosphates and nitrates are under control and the tank has more stability.
Personally, I liked the look of the stuff.
Now, caulerpa - my experience with THAT was not good! I finally threw out the rocks it had infested. (After it went sexual, smoking up the tank.) No crash, but I was nervous.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do or not do with this algae.
Michelle

Over months. I just noticed it was gone. I didn't mind it and did nothing to get rid if it. I think it was one of those many things that take care of themselves once the phosphates and nitrates are under control and the tank has more stability.
Personally, I liked the look of the stuff.
Now, caulerpa - my experience with THAT was not good! I finally threw out the rocks it had infested. (After it went sexual, smoking up the tank.) No crash, but I was nervous.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do or not do with this algae.
Michelle

Thanks I will wait it out and see what happens...maybe I might try some GFO

It is almost surely a species of dictyota, most likely dictyoa dichotoma.
Some people like the look of it, some people hate it because it can be invasive and a pain to get rid of considering that very few things eat it. It can also grow in relatively clean water so it might be very difficult to "starve" into submission.
If you try to remove some of it manually, be sure to take the rock out of the tank first.Otherwise any loose pieces will just colonize other spots in the tank.

Agreed ^^^

If its big enough to pull off and you don't want it, depending on your location I'll take it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back