has anyone added fish that eat red bug to control pest in sps tank?

sensei

I just saw red bugs in a red dragon acropora.
I have been looking on other acroporas in same tank and I do not seem to see in the other colonies.

is it possible that RB are not all over tank?
I am wondering If I should just dip the coral were I saw them and add fish to protect corals?
I have read that a melanurus wrasse and dragon pipefish can do the job?

thanks for your answer

I just saw red bugs in a red dragon acropora.
I have been looking on other acroporas in same tank and I do not seem to see in the other colonies.

is it possible that RB are not all over tank?
I am wondering If I should just dip the coral were I saw them and add fish to protect corals?
I have read that a melanurus wrasse and dragon pipefish can do the job?

thanks for your answer
Just dose with interceptor and be done.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

thanks for your answer Pife,
I believe interceptor kills copepods and I was trying to avoid this?

do you think treating whole tank with interceptor is the only option once you have spotted RB?

You have to do the treatment. Buy some pods and add back a few days afterwards. Interceptor is so easy and works perfectly?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pipefish and I think there is a filefish that will eat red bugs. Only down side is filefish was known to eat acropora polyps also

Dragon Faced pipefish will eat them. Confirmed. They will never eradicate them. They can be quite fragile for some.

Just treat them. You can lose some pods and shrimp, but if you stick to the correct dose, then they will not be all gone. I have even had peppermints and cleaners survive, but sometimes they die too.

If you don't treat for them, then you must always disclose that you have them or else the Acropora Karma Gods will make sure that your tank always crashes once it starts to get nice.

Thanks for the answers,

those of you that have used it, how many doses do you require to do?
I believe you would need to do more than one because of the eggs??

will interceptor kill the snails??
will it only kill red bug or other pests as well??

thanks again

Thanks for the answers,

those of you that have used it, how many doses do you require to do?
I believe you would need to do more than one because of the eggs??

will interceptor kill the snails??
will it only kill red bug or other pests as well??

thanks again
I suggest researching the numerous published articles about dosing it. I would hate to give unaccurate information.

I read that Red bug do not lay eggs and 3 -5 days is the most they can survive in a acropora free tank:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-23461.html
This is very interesting info but it would be extremely difficult to carry out such protocol.

any way, it seems that most people treat the tank with interceptor.
If they do not lay eggs I am not sure if it is necesaary to do a 2ndo or third treatment.

Can those that have treated the tank with interceptor please let me know if you have repeated the treatment a 2nd or 3rd time?

Can anyone confirm if they have been succesfull with one dose with no RB in followup period?

I read that Red bug do not lay eggs and 3 -5 days is the most they can survive in a acropora free tank:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-23461.html
This is very interesting info but it would be extremely difficult to carry out such protocol.

any way, it seems that most people treat the tank with interceptor.
If they do not lay eggs I am not sure if it is necesaary to do a 2ndo or third treatment.

Can those that have treated the tank with interceptor please let me know if you have repeated the treatment a 2nd or 3rd time?

Can anyone confirm if they have been succesfull with one dose with no RB in followup period?
I know friends that have only done 2 with success

has anyone added fish that eat red bug to control pest in sps tank?

Try Dr.G dip, I have also used this in tank to treat red bugs. If I remember correctly it has interceptor as one of the ingredients. Warning the bottle says not to be used in tank, but interceptor is not meant to be used in aquariums either.

To be sure, two treatments is a good idea. A week to 10 days apart.
I have used interceptor a few times and on each occasion, snails survive, acro crabs all die, most but not all shrimp and hermits die.. Most copepods get whacked as well.
But these can be replenished.
Red bugs don’t seem to effect all acros and many acros do just fine when infected. I’d say red bugs are the most benign of the many sps attackers..

Thanks a lot,
I will try to get interceptor.
is there a place that you can get this without prescription?

Yeah. That’s the trick..
I’m not sure. I have s dog so my vet will sell it to me.
I think there are on line vendors but not sure.

I get it from an exotic vet. 13.80 per large dog pill. I dip in coming coral in it.

I was able to get interceptor the big dog tablet.
after treatment how much WC have you made?
how much activated carbon an for how many days?
my system is big , 600g

thanks a lot

Interceptor works great to knock out an initial red/white bug outbreak. In my experience, they always come back after a few months even after applying up to 3 treatment with the recommended dose.

What finally works for me is the addition of a 6 line wrasse. I’ve seen him pick at very tiny things on the corals all day long presumably the left over eggs that interceptor couldn’t kill.

He’s also reef safe and leave all my corals alone. Now, he can be quite mean to new comer wrasse though, so I usually put him in the sump until the new wrasse is acclimated...

Back