Hello! I've been in the hobby for a while but I have never introduced myself.

Glenn2192

Hello everyone,

My name is Glenn, I have been silently reading on this site over the last year or so, I may have one post to my name but I have recently purchased a friends 20 gallon/all in 1 reef tank and have made a point to become more active on here.

I am having a problem that I have been battling over the last couple nights. My basement is cold, and I can't currently relocate the tank to the main floor. So, my issue is keeping the tank at a specific temperature. I have been using two heaters to catch up the temp, now during the day, I have a consistent 79 degree temperature. However, as It gets dark, it starts to drop 2-4 degrees. I am hoping to avoid using a large heater, I am currently using both in the back chamber.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I have a larger heater but it would have to go into the main display, which I am trying to avoid.:confused:

You just need more heat input (larger heaters or more heaters) or to somehow reduce the heat loss via insulating the tank..

If you are running 2 x 100W heaters now switch to 2 x 150W or whatever..
Or add another smaller one..
You just need more heat input when the basement temperature drops as whatever you have now is not able to put in enough heat to make up for whats being lost..

When heat is the problem, heaters are the solution really. Get some bigger ones if they can fit. If it was just the sump you could insulate it, but the display tank won't look good in styrofoam. Or turn the heat up in the basement. That would cost more though. Or insulate the basement better.

You mentioned, you have both heaters on the back chamber. Why not put 1 in the near a circulation pump & 1 on the back chamber. As mentioned above add another heater

You mentioned, you have both heaters on the back chamber. Why not put 1 in the near a circulation pump & 1 on the back chamber. As mentioned above add another heater

I will do jus that. It's weird, last night, at -7 degrees outside I was able to stabilize the tmp, but now that its 33 degrees, my tanks temp drops at the same setting. it's frustrating. :headwally:

If that doesn't solve my issue, I will add a larger wattage heater into the main display until it gets warmer. Otherwise I think I will move the tank to the main floor.

Thank you guys for the feed back, I will keep you posted.

So I am just south of you and the temps are COLD. However the basement should be a MORE "stable" temp area... cooler but more stable.. My heaters have been running more but are keeping the tank at the desired temp. When we have really COLD temps forecast I actually bump the tank UP to 80 to buy me some time should I have a power failure...

Alright guys, I think I have stabilized my temperature by putting the heaters in two chambers instead of just the one. My green toadstool is now opened up and everyone is looking healthy. Thank you guys for the tips. On top of that, I have my ATO set up, so it's all set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back