help!!!! building 55 gallon sump/refug

apapas

Just starting in hobby and bought a 220 gallon tank and need to build sump/ refug. I got a 55g tank and some plexiglass just not sure on measurements and stuff please someone help

I think I have read on here somewhere that you can't use a glass tank and plexiglass dividers because the plexiglass won't hold but I am sure someone who knows more about this will be sure to answer you very soon.

I forgot to put that I ordered asm-g3 skimmer that I want to put in sump so if that helps with giving me some ideas. Also I need a RO/DI unit any suggestions on what to get

apapas,
I know you said you just got the tank/plexiglass but on one that size make sure you use at least 1/4" acrylic. Thinner stuff will bow from the water pressure behind it and possibly pull from the silicone.
I used acrylic in my 20 and 15 sumps and it holds okay....Used glass baffles in my 30 gal sump and it bonded like a rock in there.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on it. Easier to change now than when its all finished, full of water and etc and it has a problem. Someone who has a 55 will be able to help you with the sizing and will be here shortly :)

A G3 has a foot of about 11.5 inches, it will be a close fit in a 55g sump. I have a 75g sump with a G3 in it I have posted pictures of my sump in previous threads.

phljess, where did you get your bulkheads, got them cut, and exactly what did you secure them with. I found you pics of yours and need to get all this to get started. thanks Could you help me with measurements

I also used plexiglass, no problems. I went that direction because, buy it by the sheet, cut at home. In areas where the water level is higher (dam like) I did attach vertical or horizontal strips to re-inforce, just in case.

Fishmon can hook you up with bulkheads, cut holes, etc.

Fishmon hooked me up the other day. I think it was totally worth the drive. I drove the guy crazy asking questions though. I also have been struggling with the design of my sump as well. When you think you have it planned out then you come up with another way. This is definately the toughest part of setting up the tank.

Back