Help!! Chiller issues

koltonu

Hey everyone!

I have 1/2HP JBJ Chiller. I bought it used and its 4 years old. I have a freshwater tank and the temperature is at 61.5 degrees F. Today the chiller stopped working. When I flip the switch on my power bar the chiller turns on. When it goes to kick in it shuts off my power bar which has a breaker. I plugged chiller into the wall with no breaker. The chiller fan would come on, but when the compressor would go to kick in it would blow a fuse. I called the previous owner as he had more experience in the chiller. He told me to make sure i had the in and out going in the right way. I looked and i'm an idiot..... When I cleaned it I must have switched the hoses. I have my out going in the wrong way. I think I may have blown the compressor. Can anyone help me confirm this?

Like I said, the chiller goes on, the fan works, but no cooling, eventually when it goes to kick on, a fuse gets blown in house. or power bar trips.

Hey everyone!

I have 1/2HP JBJ Chiller. I bought it used and its 4 years old. I have a freshwater tank and the temperature is at 61.5 degrees F. Today the chiller stopped working. When I flip the switch on my power bar the chiller turns on. When it goes to kick in it shuts off my power bar which has a breaker. I plugged chiller into the wall with no breaker. The chiller fan would come on, but when the compressor would go to kick in it would blow a fuse. I called the previous owner as he had more experience in the chiller. He told me to make sure i had the in and out going in the right way. I looked and i'm an idiot..... When I cleaned it I must have switched the hoses. I have my out going in the wrong way. I think I may have blown the compressor. Can anyone help me confirm this?

Like I said, the chiller goes on, the fan works, but no cooling, eventually when it goes to kick on, a fuse gets blown in house. or power bar trips.

You did not ruin your chiller by switching up the in/out.... I highly suspect that you are running the chiller on the same circuit that a lot of your other aquarium equipment is being run on. Chillers draw a lot of amperage.

The reason you're breaker keeps flipping over when the compressor turns on is because with the additional load on the circuit the amperage draw exceeds the 15 amp max on the circuit and your breaker box flips and turns off the circuit like it is supposed to.

Try plugging the chiller in to a different circuit and see if it still flips the breaker upon startup.

You did not ruin your chiller by switching up the in/out.... I highly suspect that you are running the chiller on the same circuit that a lot of your other aquarium equipment is being run on. Chillers draw a lot of amperage.

The reason you're breaker keeps flipping over when the compressor turns on is because with the additional load on the circuit the amperage draw exceeds the 15 amp max on the circuit and your breaker box flips and turns off the circuit like it is supposed to.

Try plugging the chiller in to a different circuit and see if it still flips the breaker upon startup.

I did, and nothing. I've been using same circuit for months, no issues. I suspect possible relay as it won't engage compressor. Compressor gets warm but won't engage by relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a direct short to ground.. somewhere in the circuit that switches on the compressor..
Since you aren't capable of diagnosing yourself you will need to contact someone for investigation/repair or call it dead and start looking for another..

High posibility that the compressor had seized. When the fan is running, and didn't trip your circuit, touch the outer plastic body. Good working compressor will vibrate, enough for you to feel it.

High posibility that the compressor had seized. When the fan is running, and didn't trip your circuit, touch the outer plastic body. Good working compressor will vibrate, enough for you to feel it.

Thanks for reply. It starts to vibrate then nothing. It just starts to get warm when unit is on. I tried to replace relay but just does same thing. Tries to click on and then nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring it to qualified electrician. It seems like your compressor is having issue. I believed it must have seized.

Back