Help Hair Algaue Outbreak Help

tampavii

Great site guys.
A lot of helpful info. I did read up on this problem and see a lot of other have this problem too.
My tank is 225 running for about 2 months. Everything was good until I went on vacation for 10 days. When I came home late last night 1/2 my rocks are covered with this slimy smelling green to brown looking hair algae. My friend was taking care of the tank and I left him few doses of REEF VITAL DNA along with some frozen food and dry food. He was feeding them every other day. My light where on timers VHO running about 12 HR. MH running 10hrs.
225 lbs live rock
30 sump with dual overflow -Ampmaster 3000 pump.
I am also running a 40 watt UV light & Aerofoamer 624 skimmer. The skimmer is making some very dark green to black stuff plus smells like ocean algae near the jetties at low tide.
I have few tangs ,few clowns ,few glomas,125 different kind of snails, bristle and sand star fish, few leather ,few clear shrimp,50 small hermits few polys,mushrooms. .
My tank 7ft x 2ft x 2ft with DSB using Southdown sand
78 to 81 temps.
160 watt Actinic VHO
3 250 10k MH in hood with fans.
My water info is
1026 salinity
PH 8.0 to 8.1 in afternoon
Nitrate .5
Nitrite 0
Ammo 0
Cal 475
Alk 14.4 dkh
Mag 1375
I don have test kits for phosphate .Do I need one NOW .
OK today I went to my LFS and I was told to us Seachem phosguard in a 404 fluval I have laying around plus added poly filter pad to my wet dry. I also was told to stop running MH and just run VHO few hrs each day and do water change.
So when I came home I cleaned out the pad in the wet dry( yes it was very dirty) .I then took small tooth brush and cleaned rocks where the hair algae was hurting my few mushroom polys and leather. As I brushed the rocks I was sucking the stuff up with the 404 fluval. After I cleaned off these rocks, I then cleaned the 404 out them filled trays up with the Seachem and coral Life Silicate remover. At present time tanks is alittle cloudy but not to bad.The lights are off for few hrs will put VHO on for 3 hrs later tonight .Unless you tell me different.
Do you have any suggestions. Did I do anything wrong?
Should I finish cleaning the rest of the rocks or just let the 404 do its job? I was in shock when I cam home and saw my tank like this. What I surprise.
Thanks for your time
Capt Gene

hair algae

hair algae

Stop the use of the marc weiss garbage, put your lighting back and on it's old schedule, reduce your feedings to every other day and feed lightly you have Po4 problem and your No3 is high enough to foster algae growth when Po4 is elevated. you should always be aware of your Po4 test, do you use R O water it should be tested from time to time for Po4 the phosguard will do a good job but it will not help the base problem. not a good idea to scrub rock deters the micro life and releases Po4 in the rock your Ph is too low, keep the skimmer going,how deep is your D.S.B. ? did you seed it ? it will have no value until it is loaded with benthos
and bacteria sand stars will consume your sandbed life. reduce your salinity over time to 1.024 cheaper for water chg's and will help keep yor fish pest free no need for 1.026 Do you run the wet dry regular ? usually they are counter productive the rock sand and skimmer should be all you need if you bio's are up keep posting

Old ron

I am running bio balls in the wet dry .I did seed the bed with 25 lbs of live sand plus about 25 lbs of sand from my fish only tank. My Fo tank was setup for over 2 yrs. I can see alot of air bubble next to the glass under the sand bed .My DSP is 3 to 5 inches .

I am going to add some buffer to get PH up and lower salitiy over time.
My skimmer is working Ok skimmer mate is very dark and smells bad
Thanks Gb

deep sand beds are 4" min, 6" max how long has this tank been up? there is no need for a wet dry with the amount of sand and rock you have. An active bed and "LIVE" live rock with a skimmer is all the filtration that you need bio balls, bio wheels, fluidized
beds etc usualy dump No3 into the system, the mechanicals compete with the rock and sand for nutrients, consider phasing it out. Hopefuly you will get additional feed back also, weiss products will turn your reef into a cesspool. :rolleyes:

Back