Help me plan my 110g stock list

White-Queen

I'm getting a 52" long 110g established tank in a couple weeks.

Lots of established live rock and sand (I think it said 70pounds live rock if I remember correctly.) Filter, heaters, power head, etc. from former aquarium keeping I will add two more power heads, a skimmer and a second heater because - back up! I hope to add a refugium pretty quickly as well. Should be a good project for DH if I can't find a used one cheap enough for my I-have-five-kids budget. Lol!

Anyway y'all help me plan my wish list mmmkay. I plan to have at least sps corals. Oh I already have a MH light set up from before as well.

Tank currently has:
Yellow tang
Two clowns (they said "regular clown" and look to be occelaris I think not percs but I will take a closer look Friday)
Sand-sifting star (color and exact look unknown I didn't see pics of this)
Many snails apparently breeding readily in the tank which I take as a good sign. I believe ceris snails.

Top of wish list:
Green mandarin - obviously not until the refugium is set up and cope filled but this is my hubbies absolutely favorite and a well-established 110g should support him.
Dwarf angel - flame or coral. I was reading an interesting post about a guy who said he always adds them in pairs now and they rarely pester other fish. He always gets them at the same time and one larger one smaller.
Either way a coral or flame is a must on my wish list and I don't think they will compete with the mandarin for Copepods.

Possibles: help me narrow-down/evaluate the other possibilities based on the above for a nice mix of levels and colors without crowding out my (future as-of-yet-non-existent) mandarin and corals.
6-line wrasse (I have a lead on one relatively nearby for half what they typically cost) Will he compete too much with the mandarin for food?
Pseudochromis - my favorites are the purple (not orchid - the magenta ones) which I've had in the past in my college nano reef but I'm not finding any captive bred. Would consider switching for orchid, neon, or other captive bred species.
Neon goby 2-3 - love these guys! Captive bred excellent pricing and so beautiful.
Harp tail or stripped Blenny - they seriously have the cutest faces don't they?
Fire fish or purple fire fish - possible the pseudo may pick on him too much but maybe not in a larger tank. Wouldn't have tried it in my nano or 55 before but is it possible here?

Thoughts? Seeing my highly-desireds and size constraints (although 110g feels AMAZING compared to my two 10s or even 55 before!) what do we think of the possibles?

Pic of tank I'm getting the 21st. I can't wait to rescape those rocks though.
9d4612edb73718f617bc1b5fd3648e24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That tank needs some TLC. Lot's of nice pieces of rock in there though, a lot you could do with some poxy and glue! Check out the BRS video for creative ideas on how to aquascape.

The only Tang I'm knowledgeable about is the convict tang. Those fish are awesome, and really friendly to the hand that feeds them. I'd get a different type of wrasse in a big tank like yours, such as a leopard.

That tank needs some TLC. Lot's of nice pieces of rock in there though, a lot you could do with some poxy and glue! Check out the BRS video for creative ideas on how to aquascape.

The only Tang I'm knowledgeable about is the convict tang. Those fish are awesome, and really friendly to the hand that feeds them. I'd get a different type of wrasse in a big tank like yours, such as a leopard.

Oh my gosh does it ever. The reason they are selling is because they don't have time to maintain it like they want. I probably wouldn't have chosen a tang personally but it's coming with one. I'd be willing to trade it for a pair of flames for example.

I will have to remove all the rock completely anyway so it's a good time to aquascape. I am thinking of two islands with a trench diagonally when I redo it. Better for displaying corals and visually directs the eye through the tank. Lots to work with so I'll take my time reassembling.

I'm not as familiar with the leopard wrasse. Do you have experience with them?

Oh my gosh does it ever. The reason they are selling is because they don't have time to maintain it like they want. I probably wouldn't have chosen a tang personally but it's coming with one. I'd be willing to trade it for a pair of flames for example.

I will have to remove all the rock completely anyway so it's a good time to aquascape. I am thinking of two islands with a trench diagonally when I redo it. Better for displaying corals and visually directs the eye through the tank. Lots to work with so I'll take my time reassembling.

I'm not as familiar with the leopard wrasse. Do you have experience with them?

I don't unfortunately. My only experience is with a six-line wrasse. Is this going to be a reef or fish only?

I don't unfortunately. My only experience is with a six-line wrasse. Is this going to be a reef or fish only?

I would like it to be a reef tank. I have a MH light system from my 55g so I'll be able to support most corals especially softies.

6-line is on my wish list! I love them so colorful and active. I only worry that he might compete with the mandarin for food too much but if I add a refugium to the 110g do you think they would be OK?

should be fine in terms of putting both fish in the same tank, but mandarins are a very difficult fish to keep regardless.

should be fine in terms of putting both fish in the same tank, but mandarins are a very difficult fish to keep regardless.

Yes. He definitely won't be the first added. I'll need to get a refugium built and well established first but that's the goal to work towards.

Back