Help needed with aiptasia tank

berghiabanter

I know it is uncommon, but we are trying to culture aiptasia to serve as a food source for a culture of Berghia nudibranchs. We have had a thriving 40-gallon tank of aiptasia for many months now, but they suddenly seem to be dying off, and I cannot figure out why. Water quality, temperature, and salinity all seem to be ok. The largest aiptasia are losing or retracting their tentacles and turning a very dark color. This all happened very fast, but the whole tank is dying off and threatens to deprive the nudibranchs of food. I will attach an image of what many of the anemones look like. We have done many water changes, but nothing seems to help. Please help!
IMG_6036.jpg
h

Can you post the specific water parameters you are testing for? What filtration you're using? What lighting you have? Do you feed the Aiptasia?

We test for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and pH and use active carbon filtration. We use an AQUANEAT full spectrum LED light on a 12-hour on-off cycle. And we feed the Aiptasia artemia every other day.

If those parameters are all good, my best guess is some kind of contaminant got into the tank. One other thing to check is salinity. If, for whatever reason, salinity dropped/increased, it could have an impact on the anemones.

Back