Help needed with equipment choice, getting back in to hobby

92reefer

After a long hiatus (several years) I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Waterbox 105.4 frag.

Now I need to order the essentials to get the tank going once it arrives. I have ample Marco Rock bleached and ready to go from my past tanks.

Opinions and advice please on the following items needed to get the tank going.

Sand. I love the smaller grain "white" sand. I've had the CaribSea "special grade" sand and was not happy with the variety of the grains. This is going to be mostly a fish only tank with possibly a few LPS frags down the road. I want a bright white sand. Any opinions on the CaribSea Fiji Pink dry sand? Not sure it's necessary to buy the Arag Alive version as I'll be using Bio Spira to seed the tank. Also what's the cheapest place to get this sand delivered?

Cycling additive: IO Bio-Spira. Used this in my last tank and worked fairly well.

Pump: Looking to go with the Jebao DCP-6500 (Max flow 1710 gph)

Heater: Ebo-Jager 300w Tru-Temp heater? Haven't had a Heater/Controller combo at all. Any suggestions on the a budget heater/controller?

Lighting: 2- AI Prime HD lights with Flex Arms?

ATO: baffled here. Previously had the JBJ ATO and had no problems with my 60G cube but it is now gone with the tank? Opinions?

I can add a skimmer down the road if needed..

id skip the live sand, the bio-spira will do more and cost less. I can't comment much on the sand except small grain gets blown all over the place. See if a local store can order it or sadly check amazon.

The jebao return pumps have proven pretty reliable especially for the price. The jager heater is a good one, I like to use my apex and it together to have a fail-safe in place in case the heater gets stuck on.

I use the IM ato pump with an Apex. It works great, I used an aqualifter before but it is slow and they are expensive these days.

I might think about hanging the AI's, not sure how tall the flex arms are but with a shallow tank you want more spread then focus.

Thanks Blue Coast for the advice.

Is there a budget controller as the APEX look pretty expensive?

Also I'm just over the Skyway bridge from St Pete. Can you recommend a good LFS for Saltwater fish and possibly aquarium supplies?

The controller market isn't cheap but they really help automate a lot of things and save a little in other equipment you don't need to buy. They can run BRS dosers on a schedule and with failsafes. Same for the heater. I'm not sure if reefkeepers are still around but they were cheaper but no internet connectivity. Coralvue was coming out with one but there aren't many details yet.

For LFS's in st pete, Sea Life is probably the best, A&R is a little lower cost but still a good shop. Tampa and Oldsmar have a better selection then we do down here.

Thanks Blue!

I think I'll save up some $$ for a controller down the road. Last piece is a protein skimmer. Any recommendations on that one? Last skimmer I had was a SWC, not sure they're even viable anymore..

I'd look for something with a sicce or bubbleblaster pump. Skimmer bodies are always coming up with some "new and improved" shape but really in my opinion they all work. The only other thing I look for is one that can be partially disassembled to clean the skimmer body and bubble plate.

Keep an eye for a used or on sale controller. The more I can automate the more fun the tank is. It is also good piece of mind, my tank will blow up my cellphone if the controller sees an issue(high water sensor, temp, ph, pump on too long, etc.)

There are newer products for cycling a tank that will get you through the process quicker and are reliable Brightwell has a kit to do a fishless cycle that is very popular and well received. I don't think a controller is needed maybe if you out of town a lot for long periods and know one in your house who wants to deal with it. So much of the equipment today has its own control and those that don't a $30 wifi power bar gives you the same control. As far as ato, Tunze is by far the most bulletproof and since it is controlling your top off it's a valuable tool and worth the price when you consider what you are going to spend on fish and coral. Plus the piece of mind of not coming home to water on the floor and ****ing off the Mrs. if there is one. If you are going with AI look at the Nero pumps they are on the lower end of the name brands and you would be keeping your lights and powerheads in the same system. Get an Inkbird for temp. control and back up. As for sand a good clean up crew will keep your sand bed clean and white. I have 3 tanks, two with sand and one barebottom. The one that has the best clean up crew stays the cleanest. As far as a skimmer I would suggest getting one correctly rated for your tank size and planned bioload. In the past everyone went oversized. Now most of the better quality skimmers recommendations are accurate. I run an Eshopps and a Tunze and am happy with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys.

Will be trying the inkbird with the heater.

I love bright white sand but the Caribsea Fiji Pink seems to be so popular. I'm hoping the grain size and brightness will fit my desire for white sand but not too small to be blown around.

Debating now on lighting. I already know that I won't be keeping SPS and will most likely be just fish only. I also prefer a bluer/darker light as opposed to bright daylight.

Narrowed down my choices to the Kessil A-80 Tuna Blue which only costs $129 per light but have to buy the flex stems and their controller so will run about $410 total. The AI HD Primes can be run off their phone app so no controller and with stems will be about $420.

Really not sure which one will be the best light and both around the same cost? Choices....

Primes hands down. If you decide you want to grow coral later they are a good light and the control of the app is better than the Kessill.

OK.

Bought my ATO (Tunze 3155) and my RO/DI unit.

Now have to get my return pump and skimmer.

Any suggestions on GPH and brand of return pump? I want to go with a DC pump this time for energy saving and quiteness and hear that I should shoot for 10 X my tank volume. Tank volume is 72G and sump is 30G so total of about 102G.

Advice/suggestions on these?

The SICCE SDC 6.0 on which does 530 to 1450 GPH?
Comparably the Jebao Sinewave DC6500 does up to 1710 GPH
Hydor Seltz D-1600 does up to 1600 GPH

Skimmers: totally confused on which brand, how big etc? Someone recommended a Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4” Internal Protein Skimmer?

The Jebao dc pumps are pretty reliable. I've been running a few years and they are hard to beat for the price compared to others.

That skimmer would work for a lighter bio-load, I ran a slightly bigger one on a ~60 gal system. I would check and see if any used ones are up for sale. I personally like sicce or bubbleblaster pumps for skimmers.

Either the Jebao or Sicce for the return pump. As far as a skimmer, if you are looking for a really quiet one I would suggest going with a skimmer with a DC pump, or a Nyos. Get one that is correctly sized for your planned fish load. Years ago we always went for the biggest skimmer possible, but today it is recommended to get one appropriately sized or even slightly undersized if you plan on running a refugium or algae scrubber. I run an Eshopps 200 on my 110 gallon tank. It is rated for 120-200 gallons depending on the bioload, because I have a lower bioload I shut it off for 6 hours a day so my nutrients don't bottom out.

Forgot about a cleaner for the glass. I used to have a Algae Free magnet which was super stong. I don't think I want anything that strong anymore for fear of scratching the glass if a stray granule of sand gets caught.

Any suggestions on a gentle but efficient cleaner for internal glass surfaces?

Well I ended up ordering the Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 for the return pump at 30% off (Black Friday) from BRS

I also ordered a Bubble Magus Curve 5 as I couldn't pass up the price of $125 including shipping from Premium Aquatics (also Black Friday deal).

I have yet to select the sand. I really like bright white sand and I notice that many reefers choose the Caribsea Fiji Pink sand. I know it has some grains that are pink but is the overall look white? If not can anyone recommend a sand?

Back