Help with STN/RTN event

dubmaneh

I need some help with an ongoing STN/RTN event.

It's been going on for about 3 weeks with some colonies of coral going quickly while others slowly. Started with a green birdsnest, moved to the pink birdsnest, then my myagi tort, montipora stellata, pink branching monti, encrusting monti......you get the idea (I'll try to post some pics). Oddly enough it topped on my starburst monti after destroying about 1/4 of it and that coral is recovering.

I believe it is some sort of pathogen in the water which took hold when my N03 and P04 bottomed out roughly 6 weeks ago. Definitely not

Lowering the temperature in the tank to 75degrees has helped slow the spread and I just finished a treatment with Melafix. However it is still spreading. I do have some frags left that I'd like to save.

Any ideas on what I can try? Was thinking a round of Primafix in conjunction with another round of Melafix.

A couple of frags are starting to show growth now that parameters have been stable for a few weeks.

System is 70 Gallon net with a sump, skimmer and frag tank.
Temp = 75
Sg = 1.025
Kh = 8.45
Ca = 445
N03 = 2.5
P04 = 0.04
K = 400

I would also check your equipment to make sure a magnet from a powerhead, or pump isnt leaching rust.

Are you running Carbon?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How old is your tank? Do u start with all dry rock? Do u dose anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current setup is about 3 years old. It was dry rock.

I dose the following daily:

ESV B-Ionic (doser)
Acropower (doser)
Mictrobacter (manual)
Vibrance (manual)

Had great growth on all my sps over the past year (montis and acros mostly) . I screwed this up when I plumbed a small frag tank into the system and didn't take into account the additional water volume on feeding schedule. Got busy with work and the auto feeder died. By the time I noticed and tested N03 and P04 had zeroed out.

I would also check your equipment to make sure a magnet from a powerhead, or pump isnt leaching rust.

Are you running Carbon?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not currently running carbon as per the Melafix instructions, but I was running carbon when this started.

Nothing rusting in the tank. I don't suspect anything mechanical. I believe I stressed my corals with minimal nutrition/high lighting which in turn caused an opportunity for some type of infection.

This is what I did on my RTN issues:

- cut all the dead branches/section ASAP. Only left good coral pieces.

- Stop feeding corals. I assume you have fish. Feed the fish and coral will get food from that process.

- keep the parameters STABLES. I only measure Alk once a week or twice when the bottles of B-ionic are new. I measure salinity on my weekly water changes. I DO NOT measure anything else, but I feed the fish always with the same routine.

- Last .... wait. You will lose colonies. Other will survive . Keep those, because are the ones have adapted to your tank conditions. I stopped adding corals many years ago. Avoid putting your hands too much in the tank to change things.

Well, those are my 2 cents. You do not need to follow them. It's just my experience.

All the best !!
Daniel

Appreciate the feedback. The hardest part of this hobby is being patient when things go south.

Parameters have been stable for a bit now and the spread of the disease-whatever it is- seems to have slowed/stopped. Turning the temperature down to 75 definitely helped. Melafix- maybe helped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Appreciate the feedback. The hardest part of this hobby is being patient when things go south.

Parameters have been stable for a bit now and the spread of the disease-whatever it is- seems to have slowed/stopped. Turning the temperature down to 75 definitely helped. Melafix- maybe helped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good news !! Now, if you see that RTN is stopping, try to keep your tank parameters stables. For me that is 78 F and 6.5-7.5 Dkh. I feed the fish every other day, always ~ the same quantity and I do weekly water changes. I also have a big fuge.

My thread is beside this one. You can read there my own disasters.

All the best !!
Daniel

Back