Help

Tbaby

Can anyone tell me what this red stuff is and why it’s happening and how I can stop it from happening please I’m new to the saltwater

Attachments

• IMG_6328.jpeg
    IMG_6328.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
Looks like the start of Cyanobacteria. For some it’s the start of an ugly phase, but may need more flow around the bottom. Might want to check your nitrate and phosphate to see if they’re bottoming out. Others find it to be a very persistent algae resulting to chemical treatments and others just let it go. I know @griss just came through a significant battle with it but can’t find his thread

IMO, with all I tried in that thread, what finally rid my tank of cyano was balancing out the Nitrates and Phosphates. Mine were at ZERO when I was having the issues. Bringing Nitrate (dosing ESV Nitrate) and removing the GFO brought the levels back up to optimal and the cyano went away.
1720036573089.png

Looks like the start of Cyanobacteria. For some it’s the start of an ugly phase, but may need more flow around the bottom. Might want to check your nitrate and phosphate to see if they’re bottoming out. Others find it to be a very persistent algae resulting to chemical treatments and others just let it go. I know @griss just came through a significant battle with it but can’t find his thread
Thank you
IMO, with all I tried in that thread, what finally rid my tank of cyano was balancing out the Nitrates and Phosphates. Mine were at ZERO when I was having the issues. Bringing Nitrate (dosing ESV Nitrate) and removing the GFO brought the levels back up to optimal and the cyano went away.
View attachment 32403010
how do I do that?

Thank you

how do I do that?
Do you test your Nitrate and Phosphate levels? If so, what are the levels? If not, you'd need to get a reliable test for each. For Nitrate, Salifert or Red Sea are good kits. For Phosphate, I like to use a Hanna Checker.

So, you'd check your levels of those nutrients and make adjustments accordingly.

Another option would be to have a refugium with macroalgaes that could outcompete the cyano for nutrients.

Back