Hermit Crab Molts and Deforms! Video of the 4 day process. Please help!

Lenovo789

I have a white spotted hermit crab who was put in my tank to cycle and he lived! He is still my favorite in the tank, I seriously love him. I've captured awesome videos of him doing crazy awesome stuff and he keeps my sand in my 45g perfectly clean unless he's getting ready to molt! He was molted once before and it was very easy. This time it took him more then 4 days to molt. He is very social and familiar with me and my camera so, since I was fascinated I recorded the process. After the first day I was concerned because he hadn't progressed, I monitored him and before lights out I discovered some alarming things and deformities. I edited all the footage from the days I recorded him and compiled it in a video with music. I tried to make it entertaining and timed but it won't play on phones (can't get it to).

If you want to see his progression of molting watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-kZWvt9AhY#action=share

My questions: I feed Stevie by hand so he will eat but he can't defend, hasn't sifted the sand, and still has hard parts of his casing stuck on one of his legs. He cannot open or close either claw and my poor baby's claw is terribly pinched it's horrible! Is there anything I can do to help him or tips to care for him like this preferably something that can stay when/if Stevie makes it? He's able to get around a little but I can tell that it's affecting his ability to get around somewhat.

My husband and I are considering something else to clean the sand. What would be safe for him to incorporate into the tank? We were thinking maybe a sea star but not snails but we aren't sure what will be okay for Stevie. It's FOWLR and fairly stable. Any tips or thoughts would be really awesome, thank you!

Back