How long can corals be out of water until damage?

If you need to take a rock out of the tank to trim coral, mount corals, etc, how long can coral and live rock be out of the water without damage?

Thanks, Doug

It depends on the species, honestly. There are some that are completely exposed and in the sun for extended periods of time during low tide, including some Acropora. While there are a few that don’t need to be exposed at all, I’d say that most are fine for a few minutes. After all, when the divers in these remote islands go catch fish or harvest coral, they literally have colonies sitting in the floor of their boat or on the beach for a LOT longer than you would approve of.

It depends on the species, honestly. There are some that are completely exposed and in the sun for extended periods of time during low tide, including some Acropora. While there are a few that don’t need to be exposed at all, I’d say that most are fine for a few minutes. After all, when the divers in these remote islands go catch fish or harvest coral, they literally have colonies sitting in the floor of their boat or on the beach for a LOT longer than you would approve of.
Yep👍

If you need to take a rock out of the tank to trim coral, mount corals, etc, how long can coral and live rock be out of the water without damage?

Thanks, Doug

As been said with coral depends on the coral. Also depends on the temps of the room. Last week my basement was in the 50's and I certainly would not want my corals being out that long in the 50's if at all. Upstairs is 68 and probably still would not want on out too long. Now in the summer it is 76 to 77 and they can be out pretty long time.

With rock it depends on what live rock you are getting. If it is fresh live rock with lots of sponges just taking them out of water can cause some die off of some sponges. I have had live rock shipped that was in a box for days and most survived if the rock is cleaned and kept damp. Tampa Bay saltwater ships their rock in water to prevent die off and comes really fresh with allot of life. Again it depends.

Back