how to build a stand wider than the tank

sid700

Hello. I would like to make a stand for my 4Lx2Dx2H glass tank, but I would like the stand to be about 6" wider. This, way I can fit a couple of 13" wide tanks under the stand. And maybe use it to rest my knee while cleaning the tank.

Can I just built it like a deck? Where the joists rest on the beams and the beams rest on the posts?

Thank you for any input and if you can provide a link to pictures, that would be great.

You got it.

I built my stand for my 120 bigger than the tank. In addition to the support beams like you described, I used 3/4 ply on the top as well. I glued and screwed all of my 2x4s together and used 2 ply columns.

overkill!!! use double 3/4 on the top and plywood box construction and your all set. much more space inside. I built it like this for my 240. this is what I do for a living!

no sorry, camera is at work I have to get a move on it w/ the pics only a couple posted. still working on the reef room

So you have plywood holding the weight of this tank up on each corner?

Reason I ask, is I am about to build a stand for my 120. Trying to get the best ideas for the most "inside" space I can get.

Thanks,

Todd

here is a pic of my stand that I made for my 90 gallon, I also built it larger in the back by about 6 to 8 inches.
57307back_of_90_and_fuge_pic.jpg

I used 4x4's for the legs and wrapped 2x4's around te legs to help hold them in place and for extra support. I also used 2x4's to frame under where the actual tank will sit also for support.
For the top I used 3/4" plyboard and used all stainless wood screws to hold it all together. If you want more pics let me know.

What is the length of your stand? 60" I have the 120 which is 48x24. I wanted some more front to back to allow more space for my closed loop and oceans motions 4 way to fit without having to fight with stuff in the way. I have a 40g breeder sump under the the current 75 which is 48x18. I have no room under there obviously with the sump.

Todd

My stand is 50" long by 28 inches wide.
Here are some more pics to help clarify what I was talking about in my other post.
57307stand_support_3.jpg

57307stand_support_2.jpg

57307stand_support_1.jpg

url]

240-Reefer, I would like to avoid putting plywood on the sides/back. I just want to put a 3/4"ply on top, where the tank sits. I'll use 2x4s and keep the bottom "open."

Do you have any advise on building a stand that is not supported by plywood?

320x240sump_end.jpg

Then just skin the 2x4's w/ whatever you want. The big advantage I was going for, was maximum width front-to-back so I could slide a large sump in from the side. As you can see, it's a perfect fit. :D

- Mac

Back