How to frag toadstool?

daaaaaan

In Memoriam
I have a toadstool that has outgrown my nano-tank......what is the best method to go about fragging it?

Take a sharp razor and cut away, it can be cut into many pieces. The pieces dont even need polyps they will grow some. Attach the pieces with a loose fitting rubber band to pieces of LR and in a couple weeks they will have attached.

Any particular spot i want to cut? Because unlike a Kenya Tree, or a Spahgetti finger, there are no "branches" to cut....its just like one big plate as you know....so any particular way?

Just cut off chunks. If you want you could cut off the entire cap leaving just the stalk. Then cut the top into sections. If you have other corals in there you should run some carbon during the cutting and healing process. I can post a video link with E Borneman demonstrating coral fragging, but its a huge file.

Dont be afraid to take it out of the water to do the cutting. You'll also want to have pristine water so the frags dont become infected.

I found the video on him coral fragging....thanks....I think im going to cut half the cap, and then cut that up into chunks.....the cap alone is around 8" accross (even "folded" up).....so I can get some nice size frags from it.

I fragged them by cutting a circle around the base, leaving the base as large as you wish to remain.

Then lay the circle piece out on wet towels and cut into as many pieces as you wish. I always used the rubber band method also, but needs to be watched for severing the fleshy part its over.

Back