How to kill cotton candy algae

bcwalz

I've been battling cotton candy algae for a while now with not much success. I maintain nitrates at 0 and phosphates stay 0 to 0.1. Lights are only on for 6 hours. I have a refugium with Chaeto. I took out all the live rock and scrubbed it clean of the cotton candy algae and then covered it in hydrogen peroxide and let it bubble for 5 minutes. All that and its growing back again. I've read that Vibrant has worked well as long as you pull your chaeto first. Any thoughts or other advise?

Yeah I've been reading more on both and it seems rather risky. I finally found an removed the killer snail I had in my tank and can restock my turbo snails again sadly my LFS doesn't have any. Any online store recommendations for turbo snails?

Yeah I've been reading more on both and it seems rather risky. I finally found an removed the killer snail I had in my tank and can restock my turbo snails again sadly my LFS doesn't have any. Any online store recommendations for turbo snails?
I've been pleased with

I like Reef Cleaners as well. Just waiting for them to start Priority shipping again in the new year for my next order.

I've used them as well but as you said USPS priority shipping is stopped and I really don't want $50 in turbo snails 😂. Any other ideas?

I’ve heard a decent review recently about saltwateraquarium.com. I’ve personally never used them though

On Vibrant, hell no. That crap killed a bunch of other stuff in my tank a few years back….corals and other inverts. And, for the record, I did not have the same experience with Algaefix. Maybe different quality control procedures???

For biological control, I had success with Mexican turbos years ago.

Also, FWIW my local Petco has a ton of turbo snails. I’ve gotten a couple recently and they’re still doing great. That store must have a good aquatics manager because their SW livestock is always healthy. They regularly have LTAs is stock and recently had about a dozen T. Derasa.

Back