Huge issue with my lighting setup.

dianapickles

:debi: So...

I just recently changed from T5HO to an LED track lighting.
The problem is, I don't think they're doing anything at all except for providing light for the fish. My corals seem to be unhappy about the new lighting and are hardly opening up. With the exception of my duncan. :strange:

I'm not sure if the lighting isn't bright enough (my tank is 80cm deep) or is it the colour spectrum? (Cool white, Lunar Blue and Colour enhancing) 1W each. There isn't enough wattage? I'm so lost. These are the pods.

IMG_8814__18947.1424238847.1280.1280.jpg

My setup has a cool white LED strip going through the middle and then two tracks on either side for the LED pods. I have filled up most of it with Luanr Blue and Colour enhancing (which looks white to me?) as the middle has the "cool white" lights. These are the only lights you can buy for this.

What can I do? Can I add other colours to the track? Is that even possible?
Should I just go back to my T5s? (They're great but don't give the amazing shimmer these LEDs do :( )

(Tank dimensions are 60x24x32)

Your not going to keep anything alive with them. They are ment for illuminating a fish only system. Switch back to the t5.

Those will not do a thing for you. Either get the right LED (Hydra, Radions, Kessil, Max spect....etc) or go T5 for now.

:sad2:

I guess I shouldn't trust the LFS. The guy selling me the light was saying how these are "great for the reef." I thought so, considering the package says "freshwater, saltwater and reef."

I'll go back to my t5's but I love having an LED addition. Is there any way I can keep these lights and have them be beneficial?

I mean, what difference are these LEDs to the proper LED lighting systems? Colour spetrum, intensity...? I guess I have less knowledge than I thought I did about lighting. Could I somehow mod the lights or add something so I can use these or will I have to return the entire thing?

From your signature, it appears your tank is 32" deep (roughly 80cm). Since that is the case, you need some punch power to get adequate PAR to that depth. What is your current T5 lighting configuration? Everyone is right, those LEDs you were sold won't do anything for a reef tank. If you currently have a good T5 solution, consider supplementing with some "Good" LEDs. There are several threads on T5/LED solutions. You could easily retrofit or add-on some LEDs. There was also a good Bulk Reef Supply video out late last year regarding T5/LED.

Take a gander at this video, interesting to say the very least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTuj5MJCgpc&index=22&list=PLBaMLrfToJyybUT18OE3fMomFb9XU0ffC

Last edited:
If it was me I'd switch back to the T5 fixture (providing you still have it).
If you don't have the fixture then I'd switch to MH.

For a tank your size, you will need several HUNDRED watts of led, those little jobbies aren't going to cut it. They just aren't powerful enough to provide any real benefit for your corals. Remember what we're trying to replicate here, the SUN. Take those led's out in your backyard on a sunny day and shine them on the ground from about 2 feet up. Can you tell they are on? Nope.

A purpose built, reef ready LED system is going to use 3w led's at a minimum, and lots of them. A tank your size will need something similar to three Aquaillumination Hydra 52's, maybe more. They push 130 watts each.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/hydra/

If it were me, I'd return the entire setup. There is no way to make those things beneficial, they are just not powerful enough. Those are "1 watt" modules, a good module such as a Kessil A360 runs at ~ 90 watts.

Now you may be thinking, ok well i can just install 90 of the track LED pods and that would be the same>? But its not. The intensity of the light and optics they use help "drive" the light deeper though the water down to where your corals can use it. Those cheaper modules just cant compare.

Kessil's are STUNNING to look at, they offer the best shimmer of any light (IMO) if that's what your into, those are the ones to look at.
http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/Saltwater_A360.php

Hope this helps..

Thank you guys so much. Plenty of helpful info and suggestions. I'm definitely going to return these lights. I really hope the guy understands, I've been a regular for so long I don't see why he would refuse considering he did give me false info anyway.

I definitely put my t5's back in, the fixture is built into the canopy but I'm looking into getting a different fixture with 6 lamps as this one only has 4.

I love kessil lights, they're definitely expensive af but after seeing how beautiful the tank looks with these crappy LED's I can't imagine how amazing it would look with kessil LEDs.

Thanks again !!

Just a question though, with my dimensions. 60x24x33.... How many kessils would be sufficient ? With or without t5's? There quite expensive enough I want to be sure I'm doing it right this time :lmao:

A T5/LED combination would be a good combination. There are lots of good solutions that would work depending on the space in your hood, the power of your current T5 setup and your budget.

On the higher end, you should research Kessel, Aquaillumination, Radion, etc. Since you would be adding it to your T5's and not using LED on it's own, I would be tempted to look at a lower cost solution like those from ReefBreeders.

A T5/LED combination would be a good combination. There are lots of good solutions that would work depending on the space in your hood, the power of your current T5 setup and your budget.

On the higher end, you should research Kessel, Aquaillumination, Radion, etc. Since you would be adding it to your T5's and not using LED on it's own, I would be tempted to look at a lower cost solution like those from ReefBreeders.

Yeah I just had a look at the kessils ... 500$ here in Australia. That's insane. Thanks for the lower cost idea with reefbreeders. I definitely need to have a look around for lower cost LEDs. That's why I was wondering if my current LEDs would at least suffice as supplement.

Yeah I just had a look at the kessils ... 500$ here in Australia. That's insane. Thanks for the lower cost idea with reefbreeders. I definitely need to have a look around for lower cost LEDs. That's why I was wondering if my current LEDs would at least suffice as supplement.

A local friend of mine is running a corner 90g with the V1 32" Photon, and the tank looks awesome. He is getting nice growth and SUPER color. I'm seriously considering replacing the 3 AI Primes over my 56g with one of the V2's.

I would be tempted to look at a lower cost solution like those from ReefBreeders.

Oldbones, you're a true legend. These lights are perfect. I've been looking forever for LEDs that I can run alone on my tank that aren't atrociously expensive and are powerful enough for the depth of my tank.

A local friend of mine is running a corner 90g with the V1 32" Photon, and the tank looks awesome. He is getting nice growth and SUPER color. I'm seriously considering replacing the 3 AI Primes over my 56g with one of the V2's.

They look freaking awesome.

Back