Hydor ATO

bizzleb01

So, I decided to go with the Hydor because it seemed easy acne was reasonably priced, but I can't get the Damn thing to work properly. Anyone have one that has any much with them. I thought it was supposed to keep the water level between min and max but it doesn't kick on when it drops below max. Then the alarm starts beeping when the water level is low.

So, I decided to go with the Hydor because it seemed easy acne was reasonably priced, but I can't get the Damn thing to work properly. Anyone have one that has any much with them. I thought it was supposed to keep the water level between min and max but it doesn't kick on when it drops below max. Then the alarm starts beeping when the water level is low.

I have one. This ATO works with temp probes. It keeps the water between the first and second probes, if it reaches the third one, an alarm sounds. It is designed to only turn on the pump when the water reaches below the min. This means that it will take on water when the water is not touching the probes at all.

Make sure you also have it installed the right way. The empty space on the probe goes down. Look at the video below. It will help visualize it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KV39V4XPyk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV39V4XPyk0

Ok, so it doesn't fill until it's below the min level. I've got out installed correctly using a Tom's aqualifter as the pump. I did read that the fill time has to be between 25 seconds and 10 minutes. I wonder if it's not filling fast enough? Water only seems to trickle out of the hose.

That is ok. What you don't want is for this to fill up too fast. Slow is not really a problem. In fact, you want slow. This way it does not go over the level by the time it shuts down the pump or affect salinity.

I have it. It's worked great. I haven't cleaned it as much as I probably should have and there's plenty of salt buildup and its still working great.

Yea it should not be alarming unless it is taking too long to fill or aint filling at all..

Check to see if the pump is working. If it is dropping way below the last prong something is wrong. I have had aqualifters fail regularly and even not work out of the box. Possibly a bad ato but I would look more at the pump first.

I have mine on a aqualifter too.. I am switching to the avast pump because of my larger sump because it fills faster.

What's happening is it's never getting to the max line and shutting off. Then it beeps with no alarm light until I turn it off then on

What's happening is it's never getting to the max line and shutting off. Then it beeps with no alarm light until I turn it off then on

Probably aint filling fast enough.. Is it taking a long time ? Most return chambers in sumps are rather small.. You do have it in the return section right and your baffles are right if you made your own sump?

Do you mind sharing a picture of the location where you have it and how it is installed? It feels like it is either installed upside down or you have a faulty ATO.

These things are pretty solid and if your pump if filling it back up in a minute or so, that should not be a problem. If it fills it too fast, it will cause it to overfill and trigger the alarm.

Ok, I figured it out. It was filling too slowly. The rigid tubing I used for the pump inlet was touching the bottom of my ATO sump causing it to only allow the water to trickle fill. I adjusted it and it now fills in the allotted time allowed.

Thank you all for the input and advice, it was driving me batty.

Probably aint filling fast enough.. Is it taking a long time ? Most return chambers in sumps are rather small.. You do have it in the return section right and your baffles are right if you made your own sump?

Yes, I do have it in the return chamber and it's an Eshopps sump.

Ok, I figured it out. It was filling too slowly. The rigid tubing I used for the pump inlet was touching the bottom of my ATO sump causing it to only allow the water to trickle fill. I adjusted it and it now fills in the allotted time allowed.

Thank you all for the input and advice, it was driving me batty.

Yep. This is a feature to avoid burning the pump up in case you run out of water.

Back