ID Help. I think I found it, but want to be sure!

mylifeismyown66

FUP&A Member
We bought this mantis as a "squilla", but after looking at Roys ID list these are the closest I have seen to what we have. The first link I am really leaning toward. Any input would be helpful.
Odontodactylus scyllarus
or
Gonodactylaceus ternatensis
And here is a pic of our mantis exploring the tank. It is probably about 7"
d758fae8.jpg

Thanks!

Oh boy, I get the easiest ID in the mantis world, I'd better not flub it. It's a ternatensis! Kidding. That's a peacock, odontodactylus scyllarus. Beautiful specimen. Congrats.

thats a nice looking peacock i think it's a male going by the color, that guy will not do well at all in a reef tank, high lighting will cause shell rot and extreem stress to the animal

thats a nice looking peacock i think it's a male going by the color, that guy will not do well at all in a reef tank, high lighting will cause shell rot and extreem stress to the animal

I am aware. Its in a 75g tank with 2 50/50 T8 bulbs right now by itself.

What's the intensity on a T8 like? How does that compare to 'actinics' and the like? I'm not as up on lighting as I should be.

What's the intensity on a T8 like? How does that compare to 'actinics' and the like? I'm not as up on lighting as I should be.
50/50 bulbs are suposed to be a mix of 10k and atinic light, if they are standard t8 bulbs they should be fine but i think i'd switch one to straight atinic or only run one 50/50.
if they are ho or vho bulbs i think they would be to much light

You want to change out the lighting for real cheap and have something you can show off to your friends that come over. Check this out: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ That’s right you can dial in the color you want so if you put two of these bad boys over the tank (or go with one color changing and one white, the white is less money) you could dial in both or one to the colors you’re looking for. Now for the good part they use way less power than even the T8s you’re using and the profile on them is tinny they weigh in at almost nothing so mounting is a breeze. Now check this experiment you could try and report it on here for us, dial in the lighting to a set color between molts and see if the mantis changes to match those colors.

I know your using a T8 set but they still put off more light then you’d think. Not flaming anyone but the Doc says he does not use lighting over Peacocks he just uses the ambient light from the room they are in. So even with the led option I would keep the lights limited to when people are coming over or I am looking into the system.

Looks like you got a killer on your hands. That mantis’s look is what draws people into the keeping these animals. You got one good looking pod on your hands. I like that your keeping in a 75, what are you providing for a cave? I am interested in more info on your system can we see some pix and info on the overall set up?

50/50s are strange bulbs I think they look more pink then whitish blue. But that’s just me. I like the color just saying not really 50/50. They are good at bringing out colors. IMO

i think 50/50's are only good for wear you can't fit 2 seperate bulbs and want a 12-14k look. but the fact is the phosforus that makes the atinic light burns out faster that the one that makes the 10k white lite so as the bulb ages you loose the atinic side and the spectrum changes, not shure how this effects the mantis but they do see alot more of the blue spectrum than we do so they might notice it more that us.

Back