Ideas for new tank..

nanodcl

Hey guys.
I want to ask about idea for my next tank.
I am thinks about getting a 75 to 90 gallon tank or 72 bowfont.
I would like input on equipment... I want to keep some sps, lps rics mushrooms and zoas.. i know I like it all... I know i'd like some tangs, clown fish etc...
Let just say I had about 1000 to 1500 assuming that i have the tank and stand..
Would i be able to start a tank I wanted with that little of money.. Open to suggestion still new in reefing have a 12 gal nano now....
Thanks

IMO that would be really pushing it. You would have to stick with used or cheap equipment and we all know that isn't the best way to go.

I don't see a problem with used equipment. You may have to give it a bit of TLC, but it can save you a ton of money.

Check out your local Reef club. Or even better - if there is a freecycle group in your area. Freecycle is an enviornmental group dedicated to keeping good stuff that someone may want out of the landfills. You can not sell or trade anything - only give away. You can get a lot of stuff - best part of it is that it is free!

I hope that I don't get in trouble for posting this link. Mods - if it is against the UA, please remove it.
http://freecycle.org/

Thanks .. iwas trying to get an idea of what equipment i would need to start and what brand ppl like here on rc....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6490178#post6490178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tjghes
I don't see a problem with used equipment.
Either do I and I see where you got that impression. I was referring to the cheap equipment when i said that is not the way to go.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6493636#post6493636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanodcl
Thanks .. iwas trying to get an idea of what equipment i would need to start and what brand ppl like here on rc....

Well here is a starter list.
Tank and stand
Lights (IMO MH would be the best way to go)
Liverock
Sand
Skimmer
Powerheads
Test kits
Salt (buy a bucket of it)
RO/DI unit (or find a place to buy RO water)

I would say 1500 would be a pretty good start for a 90 epecially if you had the tank and stand.
Pretty much you lighting and live rock will be your most expensive. If you can find someone selling their whole tank cheap then that would be what I would shoot for. I bought two complete tanks for 1100 and mainly got a complete reef setup.
So I think it can be done but it may take some time.

Back