In need of a pump...anyone getting rid of one?

crny1

Premium Member
With my new 75 and megaflow the overflow is outrunning my Mag 7 return. I have to throttle back the return to keep from overflowing my sump and im not happy with the flow rate like this. Anyone got a bigger pump they are willing to part with? Preferably submersible style but would consider external. Anyone?

Wes

How can your overflow outrun your pump? Your overflow should only be draining as much water as your pump is putting into the tank. With my mag 12 and dual overflows, I can turn the ball valve on my return line all the way open or have it almost all the way closed and it doesn't affect the water level in my sump at all. Something doesn't sound right...

What diameter pipe are you running on your return. If you are running 3/4" you could be restricting the flow quite a bit. Going to 1" or 1.25" would give you a lot more flow.

-Mike

Well much to my stupidity i figured out my problem.....i had approx. 4 gallons too much water in the display! That is why i was getting too much water in the sump to out do the return. After posting this and then sitting back and thinking about it i realized what was wrong! Anyway thanks for the offers! Talk about open your mouth too soon.... :)

Wes

I figured either you had too much water in the display, or your overflow plumbing was allowing water to drain around the base of it so you were essentially draining your entire overflow.

Back